Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started working on this last fall but had to put off working on it again until the weather was cooperating. It is an ash stick I found a while back which had an exciting root sticking up out of the ground next to it. My theory, based on the obvious deer scrape on the shank, is that a buck was shining up his antlers on the tree one fall and accidentally snagged a surface root. Enough was still in the ground for it to stay alive and produce a really odd mass of roots. I trimmed off most of them, but still haven't decided what to do with the one on the outside of the curve.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Worked on this one for a while yesterday. Decided to leave about an inch of that top root and round it over. I really wish it was a bit straighter but it'll do. Took off quite a bit of material where it goes from handle to shank to reduce the weight a bit. It's had its first coat of poly.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.