Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After nearly15 years of using a slowly dying Dell desktop running Windows XP I've upgraded to a shiny, new, and much faster laptop. Bit of a learning curve and I'm still in the middle of moving everything from the old to the new so I haven't been around the last couple days. I'm hoping for several years of use before I have to do this again.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Congratulations. I up graded my computer last year. I am also hoping it will last a few years. A friend who is a computer engineer says it should be good for a good while with the built in extra memory, room to grow with up grades. My grandson knows a lot more than I do. He is who I call when I am lost.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Randy. It was definitely time. This one is on the lower end of the performance and price scale but it's still the fastest one I've used. 15 years is a long time in computer years.

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Congrats and/or sympathies. I dread the day this one I'm using now craps out. It was a bit of a nightmare just switching to Chrome from IE. Probably have to get my niece to give me a hand.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now more of a nightmare. I'm currently typing on my old computer. The new one came with a solid state drive that I needed to install myself. It's supposed to be about 5 times faster than a standard hard drive. Waiting for pages to load is about as exciting as waiting for sticks to dry.

I followed the manufacturer's instructions and managed to hose it up anyway All was well up until the BIOS didn't recognize that a new drive was installed. I tried everything in my (limited) capacity that I could to get it to work (probably made matters worse). I ended up taking it to a computer shop to fix it. I pick it up Monday.

Sad thing is after repairs are paid for I could have taken that same money and bought a better computer that didn't need fiddled with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.