1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just found this site on Google....
I`ve been making walking sticks since my Father showed me when I was like 13 years old or so..I`m 51 now....
Looking forward to some good info here....
Thanks...
Paul.....http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp193/stuartracing2281/sticks002.jpg
sticks002.jpg
Welcome to the forum! Nice collection! It looks like you have the same problem I have, you can't part with your creations!
Thanks...Yes,you are right...Sometimes I like to polish them and think about when I made it...I even still have the first one that my Dad and I made together...It hung out with my older sister for about 20 years until she sent it to me one Christmas....

I don`t use any machines when making mine..Hand sand down to the raw wood then go from there...But all the time sanding lets me get to know the stick and what it might turn out like...
sticks001.jpg
I just cut these down last week and now the waiting process....grrrrrr...I coated them in oil to slow the drying to prevent cracking,hoefully,lol....

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I just cut these down last week and now the waiting process....grrrrrr...I coated them in oil to slow the drying to prevent cracking,hoefully,lol....
I do some on the lathe, some I carve, some I just leave natural -- waxing the ends helps with the cracking.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do some on the lathe, some I carve, some I just leave natural -- waxing the ends helps with the cracking.
Yes,sometimes I do some wax and sometimes I just smear some wood glue over the open area`s...But I`m just so damn impatient...lol..

What do some do when a crack appears.??? I fill with super glue with good results...Bad part is that you will always have that super glue spot there unless you grind it out...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Welcome, when using super glue or epoxy for cracks you can use sawdust from the stick itself mixed with the adhesive to help blend, or you can exagerate it and use it as an opportunity for an 'inlay'

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome, when using super glue or epoxy for cracks you can use sawdust from the stick itself mixed with the adhesive to help blend, or you can exagerate it and use it as an opportunity for an 'inlay'
Aaaah,good idea...Never even thought of that...

Thanks....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome Paul! You have a great looking assortment.
Thank you for the welcome...Yes,I got a few building up..

I do it to help keep me in shape some...I do mostly hand sanding 100%..I`ll use a grider to knock down the nubs,but thats about it....

See ya....

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Lovely assortement of sticks for sure. I'm much the same as you in that I try and look

for the unique naturals out and about, and use very limited power tools generally. Sometimes just and orbital

sander to round off the top then it's all hand sanding and finishing.

Most of the fun for me is in the foraging and seeking.

Cheers,

Sean

Reactions: Paul2281

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to the forum. Lovely assortement of sticks for sure. I'm much the same as you in that I try and look

for the unique naturals out and about, and use very limited power tools generally. Sometimes just and orbital

sander to round off the top then it's all hand sanding and finishing.

Most of the fun for me is in the foraging and seeking.

Cheers,

Sean
Yes little tools as possible for me...I need the work out,lol....I like the walk about too,very peaceful to me...

Thanks for the reply....

See ya....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts