Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello, Names Bob and I'm from Kittanning Pennsylvania. Been making sticks for several years. I use them and give them to friends. I love to use sassafras and right now I'm de-barking my first shagbark hickory. I've been thinking about making a steamer to make some canes. I'm 54 and I'm retired/disabled former self-employed exterminator. I have two boys and 5 Grandchildren. Four girls and one boy. As you can see in my pic I have my favorite sassafras walking stick in hand and my wife of 35 years, Janet.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh my sticks are simple, cut from the wild. I just stained two a few days ago. First ones I stained. I usually put clear on them. I'm not sure of what they are even. I been meaning to look at the little grove they came from. My Grandmother lived on a farm as a girl and it is well off the beaten path and rugged to get to. I cut some saplings down to get my ATV into the spring to fill 5 gallon jugs. They were faily straight , long and few branches. I decided to take them home. They been drying for three years. I cut them from the front of where the house used to stand. I mounted an 8 ball on a cane I made. But that is a long story. The shaft meant something to me. I used it to get home several miles back in the woods after a nasty tumble way back in the 80's. Thank you for the warm welcome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I am new to this forum but am a member of american national cane club in Mannheim pennsylvania. I live in Syracuse NY.

Have been making canes and walking sticks for about 12 years now. I am replying to you in case you had never heard of the ancc ( cane club ) . Thought you might be interested. Forget to say my name is Sam Lupo. [email protected]

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Hi Sam ,
Welcome to the forum. Look forward to seeing your work. I had not heard of the american national cane club . Thank for sharing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts