Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I found this site while looking for ideas. You are the first active site I have found.
I have been making toppers and cane handles for about a year, Mostly novelty hand carving.
And now I want to start making the cane and staff's myself. I have been mostly using ready made sticks and dowels bought at hardware stores.
I know art is in the eye of the beholder, But I am not a fan of natural sticks. I want to see nice straight shafts. And nothing in nature is perfectly straight.
I have made a few natural canes but they are not my favorites. I'm working on two Diamond willow canes for bigger friends right now. Both are both big and tall and need a stick with some heft. I ordered a couple Hames tops for the handles.
So my next thing will be to find a lathe with a long bed and try my hand at making laminated sticks.
Is there any one on this site that turns their sticks?
I tried to take pics of some of the toppers I am working on, But they are still in the white and faded into the background. Ill take some new pics on something darker tomorrow.
Anyway thanks for having me. DR

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi dangerranger! Welcome aboard. Natural sticks are kind of my thing so avoid my posts like the plague.;)
I like other peoples natural sticks just fine. Its just not what I enjoy doing. I have even made a few. I just end up looking at them later and wishing I could have gotten them straighter, or that knot hole was not right there, etc...
I'm making two diamond willow canes now. DR

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad you got my attempt at humor. I'm sure we've all made a cane or two which didn't match what we had in mind when we started. I've had several which sat on the bench after supposedly being finished, but weren't quite right. Some are still there, some I redid once inspiration hit me the right way. A couple I later decided weren't as bad as I thought they were and went up for sale as is.
Looking forward to seeing those diamond willow pieces. It doesn't grow in my area so I've never tried working with it.
I mostly give mine away. and some of those I would not be seen with are very much treasured by those that got them. Again Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
The two sticks I'm working on now are wood picked out by the guys I'm making them for. One of the guy's brought them from North Dakota. He has several more pieces, I may work out a deal for more. It seems to be an easy wood to carve on. If I do I will try to straighten them, maybe with steam. DR

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there a place on this forum with instructions for posting pictures? Do I need to use a third party posting service or can I post directly from Google pics? Or can I do it from a link in my Email? I used to be able to send pics to google pics and post from there but when I try I'm getting a dead link. any ideas? DR

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What I seem to have a lot of on my place is pine , oak, buckeye, and manzanita.

I have seen some local guys work with Manzanita, but it is HARD! its power carving only, and the finished sticks are brittle, But the red wood is eye catching, and if you can get a mix of red and white....
I recently saw some knife scales cut from Buckeye that turned out well. They had streaks of tan/grey,and brown running through it.
It has fairly straight branches, I may start some drying.
The other I have thought of trying is live oak. it is a scrub brush, but has nice straight branches. its problem would be getting it dry without cracking. Should make a nice hard stick. DR

1 - 6 of 6 Posts