Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Collected this one about a year ago so I figured it was time to work on it. Found it on a neighbor's land (with permission) which was being clear cut for a solar farm. Coming along nicely. I'm thinking of filling the rotten area with branch off cuts like I did with that apple root crook I made a while back. It has some damage on the shank where a buck was shining its antlers a while ago during the fall rut.It'll make an interesting feature I think.
Wheel Tire Wood Plant Branch
Furniture Shelf Vertebrate Blue Wood
Bookcase Shelf Product Blue Book
Wood Publication Book Shelving Bookcase

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

Rodney,I have been thinking about trying resin. In fact, I have a resin kit I bought a while back sitting in the shop, though I'm not sure if it is still good or not. Been in the shop for 2-3 years and was in the garage for a while before that. I'll have to try a small batch and see if it's still good.

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, finally got back into the shop today. Heat and humidity have finally let up. Got some work done on this stick. drilled some shallow holes in the rotten area and glued in some off-cuts of maple. Probably drill some smaller ones around those and add some smaller cuts of twig, then pack the rest of the space with sawdust and glue. Sanded the shank down some as well.
Bookcase Shelf Furniture Book Blue
Bookcase Shelf Wood Shelving Book

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looking forward to seeing how your salvage operation goes! I have a couple nice serviceberry (Amelanchier spp.) blanks with punky areas in otherwise really cool root heads. Would love to finish them as knob or crosshead sticks rather than hiking staves or simple shanks. Please keep updates coming!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts