Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a new member to this forum but have made a few sticks over a number of years, though not a prolific maker. Started with basic knob and thumb sticks. I make lyre sticks as gifts to my friends and I made a crook for myself.
I am planning to make a leg cleek using burr oak and I need to know the internal size of the cleek. Does anyone have a template or the dimensions? I have attached my sketch to compare. Many thanks.
Font Pattern Rectangle Parallel Art
Brown Natural material Wood Chair Material property

·
Registered
836 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Pluckingpheasant. According to one of the books I have (Traditional Stickmaking by Charlie Walker) the mouth should be 25 mm and the loop 30 mm. Your diagram looks like it is 35mm in the loop. If you're planning on competing with this cleek, you may want to tighten the loop a bit, you might get a strict judge.

Take the above with a grain of salt as I am an American who has never entered a stickmaking competition, just quoting from a book. (Well, paraphrasing, actually.)

That crook is lovely. Elm and buffalo horn on hazel?

·
Administrator
86 Posts
welcome aboard, Plucking. (do you have a first name ? seems odd calling a guy Plucking) LOL.
you have some very nice projects. looking forward to seeing more of your work.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Well come to the forum! Nice sticks. attached is from
“Stickmaking, The Complete Guide” by Charlie Walker. No precise measurements. You may want to email the British stickmakers guild. They may have a precise standard. I have always found them helpful.

Attachments

·
Administrator
Retired
154 Posts
Welcome to the forum Plucking, drag up a chair and do some whittlin with us for a while. Those are some nice sticks, very nice. Glad you joined us.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I am from England about 50 miles south of London. Thank you all for your warm welcome to the site and kind compliments.
The crook is carved from French oak, buffalo spacer and hazel shank.
DWW2 thanks for the leg cleek measurements, I shall adjust accordingly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts