Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the start of tree trimming around the old homestead. This year several of the trees on the property were in need of some major work. I have finally convinced the wife that trees do benefit from removing lower branches and raising the crown. She has always liked the "natural" look of tree branches sweeping to the ground, but it just not practical in an urban setting. I have been nearly knocked unconscious or had an eye poked out riding the mower under the low hanging limbs!

So with much moaning (from the spouse) I was allowed to go to work with my Echo. I have now laid in a nice stock of wood for sticks and handles. So far I have put away Crab Apple, Red Maple, Silver Maple, Norway Maple, Pin Oak, River Birch, Cotton Wood, and Linden. We also have a Black Cherry, a Shagbark Hickory and a Shingle Oak that still need attention plus a dying Box elder and a dead White ash that need to come down. (Hoping to find some of that "flame" in the box elder.)

As we looked at each tree and decided which limbs needed to go I envisioned what I could do with them. Made the trimming easier to swallow for the bride knowing her beloved trees will live on as walking sticks or wood carvings.

·
Registered
497 Posts
So far I have put away Crab Apple, Red Maple, Silver Maple, Norway Maple, Pin Oak, River Birch, Cotton Wood, and Linden. We also have a Black Cherry, a Shagbark Hickory and a Shingle Oak that still need attention plus a dying Box elder and a dead White ash that need to come down.
You must live in a veritable forest!!!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Nice! I pruned a couple lower branches from our dogwood tree last summer. I got a couple cane handles and some other smaller material for spacers from it. Nice wood. Fine grained, dense and it's pink. My didn't think it was funny when I told her I wanted to get more from it.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far I have put away Crab Apple, Red Maple, Silver Maple, Norway Maple, Pin Oak, River Birch, Cotton Wood, and Linden. We also have a Black Cherry, a Shagbark Hickory and a Shingle Oak that still need attention plus a dying Box elder and a dead White ash that need to come down.
You must live in a veritable forest!!!
An urban woods anyway. 35 years ago when we moved onto this property nature had planted a sprinkling of hardwoods. The wife and I had a vision of living in a woodland so we started planting trees. At last count we had added 40 more. With lots of fertilizer and supplemental water we have accomplished our goal!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts