Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a senior citizen from central Mississippi and I have recently started trying to make some walking sticks. Retirement without a hobby had me driving the lady of the house a bit wacky. I often take my English Springer Spaniel for walks in the woods behind our yard and happened across several dead red cedar trees. I brought back some and my stick making started to develop. I started searching online for information and have watched a few dozen YouTube videos on the subject. The pride I felt when I gave my 91 y/o mother a cane with a cedar shaft and white oak handle was special. So far I have given a sister, and two daughter in laws their own walking staffs for hiking. My next gift is for a brother in law. I never know how they will turn out and the time spent learning new things is really exciting. I look forward to learning from this group of seasoned craftsmen.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Welcome Mississippi, I am southeast in Mobile. Making Sticks and carving is how I spend retirement and it is fun. I have also supplied much of the my gray hair family members with canes and sticks and I do a few canes for fellow veteran. Feel free to ask question and share your work. The oak on cedar must have been a good looking cane.

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Welcome aboard, Mississippi. Retirement is a dozen or so years down the road for me, but making canes and walking sticks is a great hobby. Looking forward to seeing your work.

·
Administrator
153 Posts
welcome M.D. - retirement is way over-rated, IMO. we still have things to do and work that has to be done. we just do it in a different way.
on your next trip to the Box Store, try to find a folding "Pruning Saw" that you can carry with you in the woods. I've started carrying my cordless Sawz-All in the car when I go out and about in unfamiliar adventures.
please feel free to join in any of the conversations that interest you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My first attempt with red cedar found in the woods.
Plant Wood Twig Metal Natural material

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
welcome M.D. - retirement is way over-rated, IMO. we still have things to do and work that has to be done. we just do it in a different way.
on your next trip to the Box Store, try to find a folding "Pruning Saw" that you can carry with you in the woods. I've started carrying my cordless Sawz-All in the car when I go out and about in unfamiliar adventures.
please feel free to join in any of the conversations that interest you.
I like the idea of toting the Pruning Saw. You never know when you might stumble across a cool shaped treasure.

·
Administrator
Retired
203 Posts
Welcome Misippy, I lived in North Mississippi a couple of times, now in Chattanooga TN.

Those are some rally good looking sticks and canes. It is tons of fun finding and making them. If you know where there are some honey suckle thickets check them for twisted sticks. The vines wrap around them and deform the sticks, just a thought.

John, that is a great idea about carrying a battery sawzall, a hand type saw wears me out cutting a stick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.