Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 35 years in the construction trades my hands and especially the fingers aren't quite up to the task of carving as well as I'd like. Some days they don't want to grip knives or gouges with out barking back at me constantly. (old age?) As a result, as my wife calls it, I "cheat" a little. { Wife: How can you say your a wood carver using a power tool? Me: How can you say your a cook using a microwave? touche'!}

Anyway back on point, I have a Dremel 3000 with a flex shaft hanging over my work bench and have been fairly pleased with it so far. But as we travel a lot with a motor home, I find the Dremel and flex shaft can be a bit of a challenge to use on the road. The flex shaft works best when suspended overhead and finding a suitable place to hang it over a picnic table isn't always possible. So I had been using a battery Dremel 7000, takes 4 AA. ( I use rechargeables) That tool gets around 1/2 hour to 40 minutes of run time before it needs a charge.

A cpl fella's in the club had been using the Dremel Micro and I tried it out, well I "had" to get one. So far I am very happy with the tool. 8 volt lithium ion built in battery runs around 3 hours of sanding, detailing work and the tool fits nicely in the hand. Spins at 5000 - 28,000 with a built in LED work light in the tip. Recharge of a totally dead battery is around 3 1/2 - 4 hours.

For $80.xx at any of the big box stores it's a decent buy and it comes with a few attachments as well. Been using it about a week now and so far it gets :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Looks like a good tool and a time saver. It was nice you could try it out at the club and see how it works

Reactions: MJC4

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
You've inspired me! I have a month between 32F and 98F, so I can sit out on the porch and try again to "faux" carve.

Reactions: MJC4
1 - 3 of 3 Posts