Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, I hope you are all well.
I live in a rural part of Bedfordshire just north of London.
I am a serial hobbyist and love fishing, shooting, foraging and blacksmithing which is why I guess I've ended up here.
I love working with all materials including resin and can't wait to get started on my first stick.
Unless something comes up I feel I can contribute to I will keep quiet while I absorb all the amazing knowledge that exists on this forum.
The local wood resources are Hazel, Beech, Ash, Chestnut and Hawthorn.

I have already learned that I have cut my first few sticks at the wrong time of year (have to see how that goes) so being a little impatient by nature I have bought a few seasoned Hazel sticks that were cut from West Wales in the autumn of 2020.

I will spend a while reading before I take the plunge and get started so thank you for accepting me and hopefully I'll share my triumphs and mistakes as they occur.
Best wishes, Steve

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Welcome Steve. Glad you are signing on. We have al skill levels here just jump right in. Your Blacksmithing skill can be a blind with stickmaking. I share some of you other interest, I am a fly fisherman and a shooter too. The UK is a great place to learn stick making. I am US member of the British Stickmakers Guild. If you are on Face Book check out "Stickmakers & Suppliers (sas)" a UK group. Great group of stickmakers there also.

·
Super Moderator
948 Posts
Welcome aboard, Steve. Don't think of things as mistakes. They're alternate design opportunities.

I've found that sometimes,the best time to cut a stick is when you find it. You might not find it again or someone else might find it before you can get back to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome aboard, Steve. Don't think of things as mistakes. They're alternate design opportunities.

I've found that sometimes,the best time to cut a stick is when you find it. You might not find it again or someone else might find it before you can get back to it.
I guess that is in line with the best time to buy something is when you see it. That makes sense, I’d like to be able to say “what’s the worst that can happen” but I really have no idea but I’ll learn. Thanks for the welcome

1 - 8 of 8 Posts