Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just joined the forum. I'll be making a unique cane for someone and maybe can find useful advice here.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Welcome aboard Mike! I just finished my first cane for the husband of a coworker. He really likes it. It was oak, and had a 90 degree bend. I left the bark on the grip and stabilized it.

Many here are far more skilled than me, so I am confident that your project will succeed as did mine.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hi I just joined the forum. I'll be making a unique cane for someone and maybe can find useful advice here.

Mike
Hi,

Lots of good info already on the site. I spent my first week reading thru lots of it, and learned a lot right away.

One thing I'll mention right off is that if the cane is not to be a surprise, let the user handle different lengths first. Or make the cane a little longer. I cut a few of the canes I made for my own use to the size recommended by various mass market vendors, and found they were too short to give me support when I had to walk down stair or over a curb.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
One thing I'll mention right off is that if the cane is not to be a surprise, let the user handle different lengths first. Or make the cane a little longer. I cut a few of the canes I made for my own use to the size recommended by various mass market vendors, and found they were too short to give me support when I had to walk down stair or over a curb.
This is an outstanding recommendation. My brother developed foot problems while working at Rocky Mountain National Park and a coworker gifted him a cane. But it was too short and proved useless. On my first and only for a coworker's husband, before cutting off the end and installing a tip, I sent it home with her. He is very happy with it now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the advice so far. The person that I will be making it for is 5 foot 11 inches tall so I'm not quite sure how long to make it but definitely don't want to make it too short. Also he weighs over 200 lbs so I want to make it sturdy. I'll be making it out of some nice curly maple.

Edit: I figured out how to add my avatar picture. That's a violin scroll I carved. And will be carving one on the handle of this cane.

Thinking of making the shaft about a inch and a quarter in diameter, think that will be strong enough?

·
Registered
969 Posts
When I saw your avatar pic, I thought to myself, "Geez, did he carve that?" And now that you've confirmed, I have to take some anti-envy pills. I tried to do a scroll once, and the results were risible.

I looked thru my sticks. I have a "Pile B," mostly early sticks that aren't bad enough to pitch, but are dis-satisfactory. A number of them are a little under 1" thick, and some of those are soft maple. They seem to flimsy to me.

I think 1.25" curly maple should be fine. The pieces I have in my acceptable pile are all at 1" at least. There is only 1, made of sycamore, that has any wobble. There are a couple of oak that are a little under 1", and they are stiff in my grip.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the compliments on my carving. Once I get started on this project maybe I'll do sort of a scroll carving tutorial. It's not all that hard to do.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Thanks for the compliments on my carving. Once I get started on this project maybe I'll do sort of a scroll carving tutorial. It's not all that hard to do.
I'd love a tute. Before my attempt, I glanced at a few pics of violin scrolls in the making, but that was not enough of a guide.

·
Registered
419 Posts
When making canes, much of the strength can come from inserted rods that connect the handle to the shaft (the weakest point). When I have made 2 piece canes or crooks I use 6-8 inches of 1/4 inch threaded rod to go through the 2. I made a crook from curly maple and wild cherry shaft. worked great, very strong.

gallery_118_17_26264.jpg

Spacers are your friend.

If you don't yet have this book, get it

http://www.amazon.com/Stick-Making-A-Complete-Course/dp/1861080832/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1383580030&sr=8-11&keywords=stick+cane+making

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I looked at the tute, I'm not sure about making a cane ( or any stick) cut from a board. You're getting a portion, section of the grain pattern, instead of the whole, complete pattern.

Thats a nice looking cane, and that looks like a book worth getting so I'll get it, thanks!

I was thinking of using a hardwood dowel as shown in this instructable.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Make-A-Custom-Fancy-Walking-Cane/
Thanks for the welcomes! It will have to be cut from a board in this case as the person requesting the cane want's it made of curly maple with a violin scroll carved into the handle. I'm still waiting for the wood to arrive, it's being cut from a 2 inch thick board.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts