Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a piece of walnut from a friend who salvaged it off the bottom of Lake Michigan about ten years ago.He had it cut into lumber and stacked and stickered under a roof since then..I sandwiched a piece of purple heart between the 2 walnut pieces and lathed it into this stick on the left..The walnut is heavier than any wood I ever used before,apparently because of the much tighter grain from hundreds of years ago..He has maple pine oak and ash from the same salvage operation..He said help myself to what I wanted..I about fell over..trading venison sausage is a real plus...

Plumbing fitting Cylinder Pedestal Wood Artifact Wood Wood stain Hardwood Natural material Varnish

Attachments

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Very cool looking piece rdemler.

I had to look up the purple heart wood, as I have never seen it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Wow! Those are doozies.

I wonder if the weight of the water has compressed the walnut some, and maybe minerals have begun to fossilize it. At any rate, antique lumber is often astonishing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gdenby,the weight I believe comes from the tighter grain from the different growing seasons many years ago..

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Nice turnings. The density and grain of the old gowth woods is amazing. You are lucky to have access to those.

Reactions: rdemler
1 - 7 of 7 Posts