Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did any of you get into walking sticks because of vision loss? I have moderate in one eye and advanced glaucoma in the other eye and my night vision is terrible and depth perception is off. I tend to trip and miss steps quite often. A few months ago, while in San Antonio visiting the river walk, I purchased a walking stick and used that around the river, because I didn't want to end up in the river. It made a huge difference but I felt odd walking around the city with a hiking stick. Since then I've purchased a nice fiberglass walking stick with wood ball top and this is what I'm using while out on my walks at night or when I go out to a place where there will be low light. I was just wondering if any of you are in the same boat as I am?

Eddie

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I began for two reasons:

1. When we moved into our current neighborhood, I observed two "senior" gents walking, and carrying but not using walking sticks. Shortly thereafter I discovered why. In parts of the area, a few aggressive dogs roam freely. My first stick dissuaded them effectively.

2. As a knee became progressively worse, I anticipated a future need for support, especially when hiking trails. Fortunately a successful surgery has improved this issue dramatically.

With regard to vision, yes, a stick is sometimes useful for me, especially on those rough trail hikes. I have practically no vision in one eye, after three retinal repairs, and so near depth perception is poor. The additional stability provided when ascending or descending a rocky slope is extremely helpful.

Vance

·
Super Moderator
979 Posts
This might sound a bit nerdy, but my liking for sticks started when I was a kid and read J R R Tolkien's books. I thought the idea of a wizard's staff was pretty cool.

Later I found how handy a stick was when walking in the woods. Vaulting a stream, breaking branches to clear a trail, knocking the snow from branches to make sure it doesn't go down my neck when I walk under them. Plus, being in a rural area, there's always the chance of some wild critter thinking it would be nice to chomp on me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.