Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got batteries for the camera today. Here's a couple quick pictures of my current project.

Leg Gesture Finger Nail Wrist
Wood Cookie cutter Font Artifact Tree
Hand Human body Wood Human leg Metal

The first picture shows my first attempt along with the one I'm currently putting together. I'm still finishing it is why there's blue tape all over it.

I'm pleased with the looks of it but it turned out BIG, I thought I made the core small enough. I didn't.

The next two pictures are my current attempt. It's pretty much normal sized. I also changed how I'm putting it together. The first one I glued on the end caps and collar after the leather was on then started shaping them. It was workable but not easy. You have to be careful with the saws, rasps and sandpaper around the leather. I also learned the hard way that the back sides of the end caps and spacers need to be sanded and finished around the edges with no pencil marks from layout lines before they go on (Duh,),

This time I'm trying to shape and finish the end caps and collar before they get glued on. This method has it's own set of challenges but at least I can't scratch the leather. So far it's going ok. I'm not completely happy with the shape of the front-I think I took off too much of the front face at the bottom- but it's not bad enough to start over either.

The handle is made of 1/4" cross linked polyethylene foam sheet glued over a maple core.

I'll post more pictures when it's farther along.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The big one with the tape is done. It only took one more coat of oil to get the shine I wanted. Here's a few pictures.

Botany Plant Grass Groundcover Terrestrial plant
Plant Terrestrial plant Vegetable Pattern Fashion accessory
Botany Plant Shrub Groundcover Grass
Hand Plant People in nature Gesture Finger

White oak and holly end caps and collar, Kidskin leather, Alder shank.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,013 Posts
Pretty snazzy work, Rodney.

How much give is there to the foam? (Not familiar with it.) Would it compress to the point that the edge of the back cap is proud of the foam and rub the user's palm?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a fairly firm foam. As far as rubbing goes, it's possible but not likely. I just finished the leather wrap on the smaller one. I checked it and with a 3 fingered grip like this style is designed for it wasn't an issue. It might be an issue if someone uses a 4 fingered grip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.