Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only paint on basswood and when it is requested. Painting carvings was always a issue for me and I did not do it well. Then I found Lynn Doughty's method of painting and have enjoyed painting ever sense. It is just one of many ways but I thought it woud be helpful if some one was struggling with how to.

part 1
part 2
part 3

·
Registered
136 Posts
I enjoyed the videos Randy. Actually I think I could handle the painting but carving those toppers is a real unique talent.
Every time I break out the Dremel tool I soon get frustrated. No matter the attachments it has a tendency to want to follow the wood grain and not where I determine for it to go. :mad:

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I enjoyed the videos Randy. Actually I think I could handle the painting but carving those toppers is a real unique talent.
Every time I break out the Dremel tool I soon get frustrated. No matter the attachments it has a tendency to want to follow the wood grain and not where I determine for it to go. :mad:
Valky307 look at the Reading a Room. At the bottom of the page you will see “how to books”. Two books on power carving toppers. Good patterns and instructions.give one a try. You Dremel will do it. Just turn it loose! Cut out your basic form . When you start to shape don’t be in a hurry. Start at low rpm’s. Do shallow cuts just continue to shape the basic form. Use a stroking motion. Not a lot of pressure, let the burr do the work. you will pick up when to use more pressure with the more you do . To start pick a simple form then cut out four or five of them then work on just shaping them. Good practice and you will have blanks forms to move on to detail with. It is not as hard as you think. Just keep in mind your learning. Don’t over load you execrations. These are two shapes of burs I like for basic shaping 1/8 th inch shaft. I use the longer one for most of the work. Randy
Twig Art Font Fashion accessory Rectangle
Plant Office supplies Art Electric blue Audio equipment

1 - 3 of 3 Posts