Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yes. But the problem w. pines in my experience is that the long grain of the wood makes it harder to avoid tear-outs. If cutting w. the grain, long splinters/slivers can form. If across the grain, the edges of the cut can shred. These can be avoided, but its extra work if one is doing lots of detail. The reason basswood/linden is so often carved is because of its short, fine grain, as well as its softness. Cuts in any direction come out well.

My teacher always recommended studying the piece of wood at hand to see if the grain would lend itself to the shape one wanted. Or, alternatively, could the shape be made to work with the flow of the grain.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I think the 'problem' that gdenby states is one of the reasons I do suggest pine boards for first timers. It's a cheap way to learn about graining and how to cut cross grain, use stop cuts and the need for a sharp tool. I'd rather mess up a pine board than a nice piece of basswood.

Plust if you are wanting to do a wood spirit, it comes with 4 corners on which to practice. Those angles create the base for a face plane. 3 cuts and you have eye, nose and mouth planes. 3 more and you have the nose exposed...etc. i still grab some scrap wood (any kind) that already has an angle already on it and go to town just for hand training.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts