Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
@boxwoodruler

Great to know about fruit wood. We have oodles and gobs of almond, peach, apricot, and plum in this area, and orchards are constantly being taken out and replanted. And here I've been thinking I have very little access to decent wood. What about grape?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just didn't realize! (-:

I guess I'm very fortunate to live in an area that produces so much fruit and nuts. Gallo Winery is the biggest employer in my area. I've seen some very big grape vines. I looked around on the net, and found one grape walking stick for sale. It was very nice. It was made from the trunk of the vine.

I don't know very nuch about grapes, but I think the vine part is actually somewhat tubular and small, but is attached to the part they call the 'cane', which is in turn attached to the trunk. Now the trunks actually get quite thick with older plants, so I'm guessing the cane part would be better, since the size might be more appropriate, and is usually trained to grow straight on a trellis.

I'll need to keep my eyes and ears open for a farmer removing grapes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.