Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Assuming the chart I found is accurate, it looks like the finest grit pad is as fine as anything available, w. the exception of diamond slurries. Should be able to get a mirror finish. As far as I can tell, the finest grit pads I have are equivalent to the 6000 grit. The 3M pads I'm using will make hard knot wood almost mirror like. As glossy as varnish w/o varnish.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would have to write the grit on the rear if it isn't already printed on because a lot of the pads look the same colour to me. It is generally with Khaki and Beige colours that I struggle with so I suppose it may just be the photograph. N.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I haven't used the micromesh pads. How are they working out for you?

They look like they're ideal for the small detailed work you do.

Several years ago I bought what is most likely for me a lifetime supply of buffing wheels and compounds for polishing metal primarily but they work on wood and plastic too if I want to. So far in stick making I've only used them for polishing ferrules.

I generally sand to 600 grit then polish with good results.

Rodney

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Never had the occasion to polish horn. I would like to get some cow or rams horn and try some for collars. Where does one go about acquiring ram or cow horn? I am thinking possibly at a meat packing house.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Never had the occasion to polish horn. I would like to get some cow or rams horn and try some for collars. Where does one go about acquiring ram or cow horn? I am thinking possibly at a meat packing house.
Just wait for the right Cadillac to park near you and rob them off the hood.

That, or try Ebay.

You can get short solid sections of water buffalo horn at pet stores that would be good for caps and collars. Some sections might even make entire handles though they won't be full crooks.

Rodney

1 - 9 of 9 Posts