Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to try something different for a project came across possable project in a carving magazine so mayby give them a shot

A abstract piece easily modified to fit on a hiking pole something different

A grouse traditional piece

and a north American image again easily modified and have always liked tradition American art so maybe have a go at carving them?

Wood Font Art Circle Metal
Plant Creative arts Art Tints and shades Construction paper
Nose Organism Yellow Bird Beak
Bird Vertebrate Beak Phasianidae Organism
Bird Phasianidae Beak Neck Galliformes
Wood Artifact Creative arts Art Temporary tattoo

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I will star drawing the killer whale which i belve the drawing represents mounting the design needs attention as it will sit on a approx. 1inch shank and don't want to see it just put on it needs to flow into the shank but where I am hoping to mount it at the bend of the tail will have to be approx. 1 inch thick so the measurements will be worked out from that thickness

I will just stain the colours hopefully keeping what grain of the wood will show probably drawing ink if I can get the right colour but I have a book on native American Indian art for reference

the abstract piece not sure what wood to use yet would also try to dye the wood rather than paint it will try a few test pieces but like the idea of moving away from the normal topper that's mostly done here , but I wouldn't mount it until I am satisfied with the look cant waste shanks

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
well started it tonight a few quick drawings to get the size right .and how I will mount it

I will have another look at different options before I decide what to do

Bit of research your right about the tribes gdenby a few interesting pieces the eagle I like them

Font Art Wall Illustration Publication
Sculpture Creative arts Art Statue Wood
Shoe Mouth Hood Wood Textile
Triangle Aircraft Art Rectangle Paint
Rectangle Font Art Painting Creative arts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looked into the abstract form for the size and like most carvings you need more wood than what you think even a ducks head needs somewhere in the region of a 4 x 4 x2.25 piece of wood to get it to look right so you can understand the size needed for a elephants head .

the size needed for the abstract piece is around 7 x 5 inch lump of wood

so I have a couple of drawings to see how I am going to mount them

Organism Art Font Wall Adaptation

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
have started to do a tad in the workshop

cut the basic out. not sure if I will mount it on a shank see how things go don't think this design would be that popular here on a shank

wlil have to see how it develops

don't want to be tide down to what it should look like even if I end up going down that route

Wood Hardwood Flooring Wood stain Wooden block
Jaw Wood Creative arts Art Artifact
Wood Art Font Rectangle Circle

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
just tidying up the orca before i put detail on it

not to sure how much i will engrave the detail into it yet but will leave the main body a natural colour

will put a buffalo horn collar on it think will enhance the overall look of it ,but cant finish of the transition until I get the shank ready to mount it

Its been a interesting project to do and think I will look at other native American symbols to dress another stick

Bird Art Wood Organism Mammal
Vertebrate Art Creative arts Fawn Carnivore

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
sneaked out to the workshop some more done

Lime wood is easy to carve and if the rotary tool is used it tends to fur , so before i add more detail i will give it a thin coat of watered down varnish to strengthen the woos should help to reduce the furing

Looking at other images more native art and a pelican .

Vertebrate Mammal Art Creative arts Wood
Jaw Clay Creative arts Sculpture Art
Jaw Wood Creative arts Art Artifact
Font Parallel Paper Paper product Illustration
Book Font Art Publication Illustration

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I have had a look at the university of British Columba pretty impressive so I will also check the site out you recommended

I do like the raven image with the beak down so will try to find similar objects

My idea is not to copy but to see what elements from different area I could use in the design .

The skills the people used with the tools they had is very impressive there style and implementing there designs into one and other is very good its not over done yet complicated with simple use of colour but done very well

I have treated the wood with a mixture of varnish and white spirit just a thin solution to prevent any furring when I use the rotary tool

I did think I would put more simple designs on but I will leave it as it is and try to sharpen up what's there

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
have insered the threded bar, epoxed in need to straighten the shank and shape the transition with the collar attached before I epoxy it to the shank and final smooth collar to the shank so you cant feel and difference between the shank and topper with fine emery cloth . I will put tape on the shank to prevent removing bark

there has been lichen growing on the shank but it will come of as I use the heat gun to straighten it the seal and polish with Danish oil

Wood Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Plank Hardwood Wood stain
Jaw Headgear Artifact Wood Art
Gas Natural material Sculpture Composite material Wood

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I will only partly paint it ,I am not sure yet if I should carve the eyeballs , I like your eyes on the elephant not to sure if it would work the same on the orca

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Wood Nail Gas Wood stain Hardwood
Wood Nail Gas Wood stain Hardwood
Pondering about the eye but I think I will leave it the traditional style did have a quick look at using glass eyes have a few for different projects so a quick look at using them for effect

Also spent half hour straightening the shank using the heat gun and the wheels a guy turned for me on his lathe .Handy bit of kit takes shanks up to approx 1.5 inches not to clever at editing pics ?

Head Sculpture Jaw Statue Artifact
Head Jaw Sculpture Statue Wood
Sculpture Wood Creative arts Art Artifact
Toy Wood Fish Font Scaled reptile
Wood Automotive tire Bumper Font Wood stain
Wood Rectangle Building material Wood stain Plank

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
started to paint the ocar had intended to use about three colours only two applied so far thinking of leaving it there , not sure yet so will leave it overnight before deciding.

the matt black needs another coat

maybe a touch of either yellow or red

it still needs a few coats of varnish anf the collar needs polishing

Wood Toy Font Composite material Fin
Creative arts Artifact Wood Composite material Font

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.