Walking Stick Forum banner

possable projects

8K views 44 replies 9 participants last post by  Gloops 
#1 ·
looking to try something different for a project came across possable project in a carving magazine so mayby give them a shot

A abstract piece easily modified to fit on a hiking pole something different

A grouse traditional piece

and a north American image again easily modified and have always liked tradition American art so maybe have a go at carving them?

Wood Font Art Circle Metal
Plant Creative arts Art Tints and shades Construction paper
Nose Organism Yellow Bird Beak
Bird Vertebrate Beak Phasianidae Organism
Bird Phasianidae Beak Neck Galliformes
Wood Artifact Creative arts Art Temporary tattoo

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
The far right carving is in the style of the Pacific Northwest tribes like the Tlingit and Kwatiul. The mostly worked pieces of connifer, but also horn. Sometimes w. abalone inlay.

It appears they used an adze for large work, but the carving tools I've seen are very simple. Bent knives (I have to, and they are great) and small pointed items that look something like awls, but perhaps had a chisel end.

Almost always painted.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I will star drawing the killer whale which i belve the drawing represents mounting the design needs attention as it will sit on a approx. 1inch shank and don't want to see it just put on it needs to flow into the shank but where I am hoping to mount it at the bend of the tail will have to be approx. 1 inch thick so the measurements will be worked out from that thickness

I will just stain the colours hopefully keeping what grain of the wood will show probably drawing ink if I can get the right colour but I have a book on native American Indian art for reference

the abstract piece not sure what wood to use yet would also try to dye the wood rather than paint it will try a few test pieces but like the idea of moving away from the normal topper that's mostly done here , but I wouldn't mount it until I am satisfied with the look cant waste shanks

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
well started it tonight a few quick drawings to get the size right .and how I will mount it

I will have another look at different options before I decide what to do

Bit of research your right about the tribes gdenby a few interesting pieces the eagle I like them

Font Art Wall Illustration Publication
Sculpture Creative arts Art Statue Wood
Shoe Mouth Hood Wood Textile
Triangle Aircraft Art Rectangle Paint
Rectangle Font Art Painting Creative arts

Attachments

#10 ·
looked into the abstract form for the size and like most carvings you need more wood than what you think even a ducks head needs somewhere in the region of a 4 x 4 x2.25 piece of wood to get it to look right so you can understand the size needed for a elephants head .

the size needed for the abstract piece is around 7 x 5 inch lump of wood

so I have a couple of drawings to see how I am going to mount them

Organism Art Font Wall Adaptation

Attachments

#14 ·
have started to do a tad in the workshop

cut the basic out. not sure if I will mount it on a shank see how things go don't think this design would be that popular here on a shank

wlil have to see how it develops

don't want to be tide down to what it should look like even if I end up going down that route

Wood Hardwood Flooring Wood stain Wooden block
Jaw Wood Creative arts Art Artifact
Wood Art Font Rectangle Circle

Attachments

#18 ·
does the orka stand for some symbol for there club?

Cannucks is that a tribe ?
The Orca is the team's logo or mascot.

Canuck is a slang term for a Canadian. Similar to an Australian being an Aussie or a person from Britain being called a Brit.

Hockey in Canada is the National sport and hockey fans are big on having team gear. Hockey is big in the U.S. as well though football is arguably the most popular sport.

In our area the Chicago Blackhawks are the professional hockey team we follow.

When I say crazy Canucks fans I'm speaking as a rabid Blackhawk's fan. The Canucks and Hawks have a long standing rivalry that intensifies and the games get really nasty when they meet in the playoffs which unfortunately for Canucks fans doesn't look promising as the Canucks are struggling this season.

#22 ·
coming along well Cobalt certainly a different idea for a topper, and as our friends from over the pond say sport related items have a good market, you guy"s over there should be looking at team emblems, mascots etc. for walking staffs could be a nice little earner as they would be unusual.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
just tidying up the orca before i put detail on it

not to sure how much i will engrave the detail into it yet but will leave the main body a natural colour

will put a buffalo horn collar on it think will enhance the overall look of it ,but cant finish of the transition until I get the shank ready to mount it

Its been a interesting project to do and think I will look at other native American symbols to dress another stick

Bird Art Wood Organism Mammal
Vertebrate Art Creative arts Fawn Carnivore

Attachments

#24 ·
sneaked out to the workshop some more done

Lime wood is easy to carve and if the rotary tool is used it tends to fur , so before i add more detail i will give it a thin coat of watered down varnish to strengthen the woos should help to reduce the furing

Looking at other images more native art and a pelican .

Vertebrate Mammal Art Creative arts Wood
Jaw Clay Creative arts Sculpture Art
Jaw Wood Creative arts Art Artifact
Font Parallel Paper Paper product Illustration
Book Font Art Publication Illustration

Attachments

#26 ·
If you care to, do a search on "Field Museum Chicago Northwest Totems," or "Field Museum Chicago Northwest Masks." The collection there is remarkable. You may notice that the totems are huge. There's a picture of one showing an animal of some sort standing up. The space between the legs was a doorway. The two that are in the great entry hall still have some of the original pigmentation.

The first time my elder son visited, he was perhaps 6 years old. He was frightened by the immense carvings in the dim light and moisture laden atmosphere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.