Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who said we would lead a gentle relaxed life when you retierment

I have found just the oppersite busyer than ever much more interests to do and not enougth time to do it in

things take a little longer the children want help in doing jobs around the house ( don't think young adults today have many DIY skills )

I need to take my time to asses things more take more care and can quite comfortably sit and enjoy views ,like watching children playing there imagination runs wild and can see things we cant dream of

Don't like television now much more interesting things to do but time races

Hate women fussing round I am turning into a grumpy old man A 1st class one , the wife volunteering me for jobs I don't want to do for other people when I just want to do stickmaking a, play croquet, go dancing , and travel Europe

The children have reversed roles and tell you off for spoiling the grandchildren letting have there own way I just tell them its pay back time

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
I think a killer of retirement can be bordom. Luckily you look like you won't have that problem.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've been told that I became a grumpy old man in my 20s! Think of it like this, sometimes it's a wife's way of saying "my husband can do that better". Your wife is still taken with you and wants to show you off to others. Or she just wants you out of the house for awhile!

·
Registered
969 Posts
I suppose part of my gripe w. retirement is that I expected that I could do pretty much what I wanted, when I wanted. Not so at all.

Also, I've discovered I have only so many "bothers" I can tolerate in a day. After which I feel like hoarding what energy I might have left.

And then learned that the old cliche of an elder saying "Its going to rain, I can feel it in my bones," is true.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I'm not retired. Disabled instead. I have a lot of time but I find I need a lot of time. What I once took for granted and could do quickly now seems to take all day. It makes me wonder how I ever got anything done while I was working.

Rodney

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Hmm retirement, let's see where do I begin to get on this soapbox? My biggest problem is of my own making, after 40 some odd years in the workforce I still think like a member of the workforce. I feel the need to be doing something everyday. I address every project I do like its a task on a construction site. The end goal is a completed task not a leisurely escape to the whittling bench.

Turning off the construction site superintendent has been difficult for me also. My wife constantly reminds me that she is not one of my workers.

Don't get me started on the taxes our dear fed and state take either. Drawing funds from an IRA opens a whole new can of BS taxes.

I need a part time job just to pay the taxes on my tax deferred IRA!! Whoever made the statement that death and taxes are inevitable must have been retired and collecting funds from a tax deferred Individual Retirement Account!

Being Retired IS turning out to be hard work !!

Mark

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Sounds like you might have been better off just stuffing the money in a mattress. Our government does like to get into every pot of money it can.

Rodney

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
spent 3hours today marking out croquet lawns knocking the holes into the ground to insert hoops and centre pegs and marking out boundries

we where supposed to do another . but my friend to hell with this lets have a game .so we spent another 1.5 hrs having a game

now my back aches with all the bending and crawling on my knees and fell shattered.

I was supposed to cook dinner today very late not in the good books

·
Registered
907 Posts
Retirement - the working mans dream I was fortunate in that I finished full time work at 53 yrs young by choice, had a 5 year break looking after grandchildren and then did a few part time jobs just to keep busy, but only 4Hrs /day max and early morning.Now my good lady and I spend most of the summer at the east coast popping home for hospital apps etc and to cut the grass. this does curtail my stick making a bit due to lack of facilities but can sit outside and hand carve with knife or power , weather permitting. I found that the biggest disadvantage with retirement is that "you can't ring in sick" :) - a happy and healthy retirement to all.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have to cut out jobs that people want me to do and jobs that people said I would do ,trouble is I like doing things in my time, my way .

I now seems to be coaching croquet players as well as looking after the croquet lawns running the club ,advertising the club carrying out repairs , not all my doing,

still at the end of the day a nice single malt helps to revive me , now its shopping never go shopping for clothes with the boss .

How come I know what I want I just go to the shop look at a couple of shirts and finished in 5 minutes , the better half goes into the shop for one item looks at what seems like 200 items then decides she doesn't like then does the same in the next shop them drives my crazy.

So now I have the excuse I'm to busy to go with her as I have jobs to do, so usually have a nice quite coffee contemplating what I am going to do if I don't nod off in the comfy chair then find I didn't get the jobs done because there isn't time

1 - 11 of 11 Posts