Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished this one yesterday.

The handle is cut from a white oak crook and the shank is a bit of a rarity around here. A piece of dead alder. Usually by the time a piece of alder hits the ground around here it's pretty well mush. I can only guess why this one isn't rotten.

Either way, instead of turning to unusable mush it developed some really nice color and texture instead.

Here's some pictures.

Grass Plant Shrub Groundcover Terrestrial plant
Plant Plant community Botany Wood Terrestrial plant
Plant Botany Wood Terrestrial plant Natural landscape

An "In Progress" shot with the chunk of oak I cut the handle from.

Wood Trunk Natural material Hardwood Artifact

Attachments

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kind of the right general shape but way too big. I took a lot of wood off to get it where it is now. That's for sure about the alder. the things we get excited about around here... :lol:

The bad news is there was a second bend that would have made a good handle in that stick. I managed to mess that one up on the bandsaw. No pictures of that one. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
908 Posts
Yeah, been there, buddy. Even though I tend to not use many power tools I'll get to a certain spot with the handsaw and figure I can split it the rest of the way and the grain takes a sudden nose dive.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a lot of truth in power tools allowing you to make mistakes faster.

In spite of the occasional blunder I like my band saw. It saves a lot of time on the grunt work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.