Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Administrator
Retired
203 Posts
I love watching his videos. He didn't seem to put as much heart into these three as he did the in the last video. I would never want to turn carving into any kind of business. Repetition is one thing I am just not good at, I bore easily. Carving to just enjoy carving is the way I want to go. If I have something I have carved and some one were to want to buy it, I might sell, but to know I had to carve in such a way as to make a carving look a certain way in order to sell is not for me.

Personally I like detail in carvings, not something that resembles fur or feathers or what ever, I try for realism as best as I can. So far I am not worth a hoot, but I am trying. I just haven't created a pattern of how to achieve certain looks.
Thanks DW

· Super Moderator
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it was more out of the necessity of fitting a bit about more than one project into a certain amount of time than a lack of heart. They only showed a tiny bit of the bear carving process and nothing of the French bulldog but the final result. I suppose it's like any sort of craft that you try to make a living doing; you have to sometimes take shortcuts at the expense of perfection. Part of what one needs to consider the issue of pricing. I could spend 50 or more hours making an absolutely perfect carving on a stick, but would have to charge a mint to make it worth the time. The gf tried to do hand crafted X-mas tree ornaments about 20 years ago after she was injured at work. It would take her all week to make one ( working on them about 3 hrs. per day ) and she'd try to sell them for $25. Just not a way to make a living.

When I work on a stick for sale, I keep a rough running total of the time it takes me and multiply that by the state's current minimum wage ($12.75/hr) and I might add a bit if the stick was an unusually cool shape. Plus the postage. Plus materials. (I figure a blank is worth $10-15 plus poly, a tip, and sanding materials) Last year, I sold 10 sticks for a total of just over $1K.

· Administrator
Retired
203 Posts
I think it was more out of the necessity of fitting a bit about more than one project into a certain amount of time than a lack of heart. They only showed a tiny bit of the bear carving process and nothing of the French bulldog but the final result. I suppose it's like any sort of craft that you try to make a living doing; you have to sometimes take shortcuts at the expense of perfection. Part of what one needs to consider the issue of pricing. I could spend 50 or more hours making an absolutely perfect carving on a stick, but would have to charge a mint to make it worth the time. The gf tried to do hand crafted X-mas tree ornaments about 20 years ago after she was injured at work. It would take her all week to make one ( working on them about 3 hrs. per day ) and she'd try to sell them for $25. Just not a way to make a living.

When I work on a stick for sale, I keep a rough running total of the time it takes me and multiply that by the state's current minimum wage ($12.75/hr) and I might add a bit if the stick was an unusually cool shape. Plus the postage. Plus materials. (I figure a blank is worth $10-15 plus poly, a tip, and sanding materials) Last year, I sold 10 sticks for a total of just over $1K.
DW I hope you didn't think I was knocking anyone who does that for a living. I just carve or try to carve just to see if I can do it and because it is fun. I was in business as a builder and sure understand how time must be taken into consideration. I was just a little disappointed in his lack of details this time compared to the last video he made. I still love watching him, I always learn something each time. I really do appreciate you posting the video. I do apologize if I offended you in any way.

· Super Moderator
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not at all, buddy. I too wish he'd shown more of the carving process, but I do think it was a time constraint issue. I think the guy making the videos is trying to document Simon's daily life as well as his stick making business so some bits had to end up on the cutting room floor. Unfortunately, those bits are what we (as stick makers) would really love to see.
Absolutely no offense taken, Jim. When I'm offended it's pretty obvious; I tend to slip into language I don't use in front of my Mom. LOL!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.