Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saltmarsh Foundation seeks to partner with an experienced wood craftsperson to produce superior wood walking / hiking sticks to my design.

Craftsperson must have access to premium grade wood stock and a long lathe to deliver multiple sticks for high traffic, urban, outdoor and medical use for people (min 130-300 lbs) avail in 4 lengths: 48-54" / 1" dia. Single design. No bark. A scaled drawing is available.

Initial outlay for wood purchase by Saltmarsh.

Saltmarsh logo to be burned on stick along with the artist's signature, allowing the artist his art and Saltmarsh its marketing.

·
Registered
419 Posts
What do you mean by premium grade wood stock? Milled lumber? Any certain type? Are your designs carved, burned, relief? You can PM me if you like.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JJireh

Apologies. held up by NEMO.

Not looking to "carve" a few lovely walking sticks from found forest wood but to manufacture straightforward multiples (hopefully produce a product line marketed by The Saltmarsh Foundation) from milled lumber (no bark) that perhaps a furniture craftsman's experience tells him will hold up to the user's needs: serious hiking / urban walking / medical support by people of all sizes: 130 to 300 or more lbs. The last group especially, who would benefit by walking straight instead of bent with a cane or walker. Think of a Vet who could use support.

My 30 yr old 48"h walnut hiking stick has survived hiking in thunderstorms and major snow, rocky walks and beaches.

Wood that might work: (expensive) Walnut + Chestnut Ash Oak Cherry Teak. Furniture wood. Hopefully sustainably harvested or recycled. Advice appreciated.

The Saltmarsh Foundation exists (should it succeed thru various enterprises) to provide a retreat for creative writers and artists to thrive in a stimulating environment.

peace

rjvr

·
Registered
419 Posts
No worries, I understand.

Technically, most hardwoods would suffice if properly designed. Mainly a core element for strength (aluminum rod) and the rest is wrapper.

Have you posted to woodturners forums, they would be a more likely place to have that understanding and ability.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts