Walking Stick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I had mentioned that I wanted to build a Shaving Horse: ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1410178414.688862.jpg

I have yet to do that -- still might. In the mean time I purchased a Jaw Horse: ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1410178505.506347.jpg

I have found the Jaw Horse to be very versatile and do just about everything I thought I might do with the shaving horse, and probably more! Besides, the Jaw Horse can be folded up and stowed away or transported easier than a shaving horse could.

Is it OK to be modern in our ancient art of stick making?
If you had to choose -- which one would you choose?

Rad

Attachments

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Never saw or heard of the "jaw horse," but looks very practical and can see where it is a good asset for making sticks.

I'm not a purist and figure whateveer works is fine. JMO

LAter, Bill

Bill:

I'm with you on the whatever works is fine!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I have a jaw horse. Best investment I have made in tools! I use it for so many things. I have made a number of jigs that holed my work and tools. It holds the walking stick jig i post in the past. I have taken the jaw horse to the lake put a clamp rod holder on it carved and fished at the same time.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a jaw horse. Best investment I have made in tools! I use it for so many things. I have made a number of jigs that holed my work and tools. It holds the walking stick jig i post in the past. I have taken the jaw horse to the lake put a clamp rod holder on it carved and fished at the same time.
Best of both worlds CV3!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The BIG one is that it is hands free operation! Has one ton clamping pressure (with a rubber grip) and can hold up to 600 pounds!
I've used the black and decker thing before and it doesn't even compare!
I have also used the Jawhorse to work on my fire arms -- the rubber jaws do not marr your work.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Seen some foresters use them for green woodwork very versatile .Theres a guy on u tube stickmaking useing one and sitting on it as your work gives it a lot of stability

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Work mate is a good system. I have one I have use for years. But I do not use it much now unless need a table. The jaw horse is a much more versatile clamping system. You can hole thing much titer and at many angles. To me it is much better for holding sticks and canes.
Do a search for jaw horse youtube. There are a number of them. You can see many ways it can be used.
Randy

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CV3 -- after I purchased the Jawhorse last year, I enjoyed it so much, I also purchased the bench horse! They are handy tools for the guy that has only two hands! :)

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
CV3 -- after I purchased the Jawhorse last year, I enjoyed it so much, I also purchased the bench horse! They are handy tools for the guy that has only two hands! :)
I had not seen the bench horse. I use all the space on my carving bench. But I can see putting the mounting bracket on a board and clamping it to the bench.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input and I've decided to put a Jaw Horse on my "wanted" list.

Now one more question: Should I worry about price? Meaning, are the less expenive ones any good or should I be looking at the more expensive ones?
I got the Rockwell Jawhorse -- the other brands I looked at were not as sturdy and sometimes even broke in the store.
There are several different models of the Rockwell Jawhorse -- you will want to get one that fits your needs.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had not seen the bench horse. I use all the space on my carving bench. But I can see putting the mounting bracket on a board and clamping it to the bench.
They do come in handy! It makes you want to have one in every work space!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I began researching shave horse plans and styles earlier this spring and I also planned to make my own. Checking out gregslist I found one for sale locally - By a Guy In my Office at Work! The shave horse is called a bowhorse and is a commercially made 'kit'. Overall it is rough and looks rustic though the legs are attached with plastic box pieces like used for building quick saw horse. The guy I bought it from used it to make long bows. If lucky you find these around ebay and such for $100 (I paid $50). The time I saved finding this bench I plan on moving to my next project a saw bench...

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool! Great find Jay! Wait untill you have to build a new building to hold all your toys like I did! I've got my tools divided up in three structures now. :)

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I also have the log jaws that fit on the horse. They work really well for holding log s and large pieces of found wood.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts