Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not even certain I'm spelling it courecklee. :cool:

There's a certain specie Maple when the wind blows - even a breeze - the back side of the leaf is shiny - bright - much lighter than the dark side....which is green, I'm told.

:cool:

I'm color blind.

Anyone got a clue?

Thanx

-neb

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Sounds like the Silver maple, norson. Very common tree in our area of the Midwest. Very fast grower which equates to a tree very susceptible to storm breakage. It used to be heavily planted around here for a fast growing shade tree till urban foresters and some towns banned it as a street tree because of the susceptibility for breakage. The wood is easy to work, carves well and makes a pretty fair walking stick. After storms in our area I look for silver maple sticks piled up at the curbs for the town's wood chipper.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I THOUGHT it might be Silver Maple, so thank you very much.

Winning an argument/discussion happens so infrequently for me these days, I almost feel like celebrating.

Key word: almost.

:cool:

Again, thanx

-neb

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yes. Most likely Silver Maple. Red Maple also has whitish under leaf. Silver maples have "spikier" leaves, the lower leaf lobes tend to be well indented, and very distinct. Also, the trunk bark is shaggier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts