Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Nice stuff! I think I like the dragon/lizard the best -- make sure you show us when your finished!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Dragon/lizard the white one? That works well. The long sweep of the body and tail flows well along the stick's lines. I like the one w. the one horned creature w. toward turned to the side.

What are you using for color?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'm glad you like them. They are sort of cartoonish but I guess that's the way my mind works. As for color, for the large areas I use Fiebing's leather dye. It covers more evenly than any wood stain I've found and they have a large selection of colors. Also, a bottle will last forever, one note however it STAINS your fingers so I've learned to use plastic goves. After that, for details I usually go to acrylic paints and for the hair highlights I lightly rub on gold rub N buff. By the way, this creature is called a canisaurus wrecks. Fluid Sculpture Plumbing fixture Art Creative arts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Hey, and he's smiling too! I read or heard somewhere about issues with some dyes or stains spreading through the wood grain (capillary action?) beyond the area intended. I'll be interested to learn more about the subject. Thanks for the pics, alador.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah yes Cas, but remember what Shakespeare wrote, "One may smile and smile, and be a villain."

On the bleeding of dyes, it is true one must be careful, they are really thin and will sneak about a bit. I'm new to using them

myself after having such poor results with commercial stains. One thing I like to do is dye a large area, coat it with sanding sealer,

then cut a design through the sealer and wipe the dye into the design so it will wipe off of the surrounding area. Also, the dry brush

technique that artists use is useful. Of course if you do unrealistic things like I do nobody knows if you screw up the colors! When I was recording music we called them happy accidents.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Great looking sticks with character, well done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts