Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,013 Posts
I was trying to think of ways to use up some of the off cuts I have kicking around the shop when I had an idea. I made up a thin handle blank using some quarter inch oak and a couple of pieces of what I think is quarter inch mahogany. I then took slices of various off cuts and glued them onto the central core and shaped them to match the handle blank. The ones where it will connect to the shank are maple, then the two at the heel are walnut, then I think one maple and one yellow birch, then alder, and yellow birch on the nose. Most of the shaping so far was with the 4 inch belt sander. Kind of cool so far. As long as I remember to go with the grain when rasping it to shape, I think it'll turn out well.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,013 Posts
Thanks, Rodney. Did some shaping on it today and they stand out a lot more now. Couple of minor gaps to fill, too. I think I might try this again some time but with some high-end plywood instead of laminating thin stock myself. Had an idea of doing something similar with a chunk of zebrawood I have, but cutting it into wedges so the grain streaks all point to the center of the handle.

I finally remembered to bring in my phone to snap some pics.

One of them posted twice for some reason...

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.