Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember these two sticks? Wood Beam Hardwood Natural material Ceiling

Well, the one on the right became the first Shillelagh I finished, it had been treated with Pentracryl -- results were good, no cracking or shrinking!

I've begun work on my second one which is the stick on the left, it just had the ends coated in wax! Well it did a lot of shrinking and the bark has cracked in one spot; I hope that the wood is not cracked underneath! Every thing seems really sturdy and strong. The bark seems really tight, but it is very wrinkly from the shrinkage!

What would you guys and girls do? Leave the bark on or take it off? It's not going to come off easy!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Myself I would sand one bark on and slather on boiled linseed oil. See what it looks like, if you don't like the results you can still peel the stick. Or do one bark on one bark off. Decisions, decisions. The decisions of a stick maker, to bark or not to bark that is the question! LOL :p

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Myself I would sand one bark on and slather on boiled linseed oil. See what it looks like, if you don't like the results you can still peel the stick. Or do one bark on one bark off. Decisions, decisions. The decisions of a stick maker, to bark or not to bark that is the question! LOL :p
You missunderstand -- the first one was completed months ago -- bark on.
This other one, that I'm working on now, has a crack in the bark, but otherwise very tight!

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
My bad, thought you were working on both at once !! IMHO bark on 1st one, I'd do 2nd bark off

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK -- I took some pics of the stick in question.

Before (when I first hung it up) = Plant Wood Window Twig Tree

After Drying and started work on it = Wood Tool Gas Flooring Bumper

Note how the bark has wrinkled = Wood Twig Bumper Hardwood Automotive exterior

And in this pic, note how the bark has split, I don't know if the split has carried into the wood itself -- everything seems sturdy; and although the bark is wrinkled, it seems very tight!

Plant Wood Natural material Twig Tree

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rad, would you have any interest at all in making me a Shillelagh like your first one? I really want that "original" look in a stick. If so, I would really like to have it done it hickory heartwood but it may be difficult to find a knot to make the head of the Shillelagh but I'm told that Black Locust is also very good for these because of all the knots that are proliferate in the wood. Let me know your thoughts and if that's something you are interested in at all. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rad, would you have any interest at all in making me a Shillelagh like your first one? I really want that "original" look in a stick. If so, I would really like to have it done it hickory heartwood but it may be difficult to find a knot to make the head of the Shillelagh but I'm told that Black Locust is also very good for these because of all the knots that are proliferate in the wood. Let me know your thoughts and if that's something you are interested in at all. Thanks!
Steve: I am flattered that you like my work, but I am only a beginner in the Shillelagh department! And much to my wife's chagrin I have not sold ANY of my work -- they just collect in the house! Maybe/Probably after I retire and my stock is built up some, and I'm not encumbered with earning a living :)

I might start selling some of them.

As it is -- I only have one Shillelagh made; I do have several sticks drying, but this takes a couple of years after harvest. The harvesting for Shillelagh's are a little on the difficult side, because you have to dig up the root ball, which becomes the head of the stick. I do have black and honey locust, but not very many hickory trees (and no hickory harvested).

All that being said -- there are several stick makers who sell their work on this site and may be able to help you out sooner than I would. The best online site for purchase of original Irish Shillelagh is "The Olde Shillelagh" store in Wicklow Ireland http://www.oldeshillelagh.com/

Also, You might be able to make one of your own a lot cheeper!! It isn't all that hard once you get the thing harvested and dried!!

Sorry Hope this helps!

Rad

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
The bark will match us as probably most of us are wrinkled it gives some characture but hopefully we wont split as most of us come from good stock

Its going to be the old song " with my shillelagh in my hand and a twinkle in my eye"

but keep the pics coming interesting to follow it up

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The bark will match us as probably most of us are wrinkled it gives some characture but hopefully we wont split as most of us come from good stock
Its going to be the old song " with my shillelagh in my hand and a twinkle in my eye"
but keep the pics coming interesting to follow it up
LOL :). You have a point there! Of course some of us are already cracked!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Totally agree with you otherwise we wouldnt take such a crazy mad cap interest up lol, but it keeps me out of mischief ehhh i think?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
There aren't imperfections! Just unplanned shapes that mother nature has given us to adapt to and overcome. And now and then cuss!!!!!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
imperfections start when we break ouy knifes lol sorry cv3 couldnt resist it

But i am also a bark on man .

Just give me a seasoned straight shank and im happy

There aren't imperfections! Just unplanned shapes that mother nature has given us to adapt to and overcome. And now and then cuss!!!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts