Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
hi all hoping to start my very first walking stick/cane
I have a 47" hazel shank don't know if to cut it down to 32" for a walking cane or not
also not sure about if to remove the bark of not
now I got to find some nice pieces of wood or something to make the handle out of
will post photos how I get on
once my grandson bring back the camera

·
Super Moderator
1,013 Posts
I'd leave it long until you're certain if it will be a walking cane or something more suited to hiking. If the bark is attractive, leave it. (Maybe put a coat of whatever type of finish you plan on using on one or two inches at one end to see how it would look.) If for some reason you think the bark would detract from the looks (a lot of scars or something) then peel it.

·
Registered
62 Posts

I'd leave it long until you're certain if it will be a walking cane or something more suited to hiking. If the bark is attractive, leave it. (Maybe put a coat of whatever type of finish you plan on using on one or two inches at one end to see how it would look.) If for some reason you think the bark would detract from the looks (a lot of scars or something) then peel it.

thanks for the tips
as using it for hiking I wont be doing much of that due to ill health
so it may land up being a walking cane
unless I make it for someone
but then i would like to keep the first one I make
so I can look back on it

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
As a first stick I'd recommend something cheaper and more common than the rosewood. At least in my personal experience on my first stick.

If you go with the rosewood wipe any gluing surfaces down with acetone before gluing. Depending on the species it can be oily. Wipe down before applying finish too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.