Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
Retired
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I got out to relax and ride through the country side yesterday afternoon. We both were looking to see if we could find some new sticks. Did find a few, but were just not what I wanted so no sticks, but the ride was nice.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My wife and I got out to relax and ride through the country side yesterday afternoon. We both were looking to see if we could find some new sticks. Did find a few, but were just not what I wanted so no sticks, but the ride was nice.
When I drive around I look for stacked brush piles waiting to be burned in the country knowing nobody cares if I scrounge through them. I also like to harvest live straight samplings along a lake shore and dry them out in the garage until they are workable.

·
Administrator
142 Posts
Jim - it's the "out of the house" quality time that counts. not what you bring home. (better luck next time).
in my area, there is a LOT of clear-cutting of old wooded areas to make room for new subdivisions and shopping malls. what used to be accessible only by foot and a hiking stick are not blocked by iron gates and a security guard.
so my "stick hunting" is being pushed further back away from the home area.
I hope to get back to the beach combing this week with a new hand pruning saw. the 7 pound sawzall just draws too much attention and is just too heavy while walking in soft, ankle deep sand.

·
Administrator
Retired
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim - it's the "out of the house" quality time that counts. not what you bring home. (better luck next time).
in my area, there is a LOT of clear-cutting of old wooded areas to make room for new subdivisions and shopping malls. what used to be accessible only by foot and a hiking stick are not blocked by iron gates and a security guard.
so my "stick hunting" is being pushed further back away from the home area.
I hope to get back to the beach combing this week with a new hand pruning saw. the 7 pound sawzall just draws too much attention and is just too heavy while walking in soft, ankle deep sand.
I have two pruning saws I keep in the car/truck, it is really tough for me to use either of them now, that is the reason I got the battery power sawzall. I do agree it does cause some attention carrying it around. I even though about making a carrying pouch to disguise it. lol I still may.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
For some reason fence lines seem to be a good place for finging stick. Sadly I can't get out and walk the woods like I once did. I do drive some of the back roads watching for sticks. Mobile has alot of trees I have stopped when I see a tree triming outfit triming out or taking out a tree and for 10 bucks gotten a dozen or so nice branches for sticks. Also every two weeks the do yard trash pick up. The city has a web site that shows what days they are picking up and where. I have driven neighborhoods I know have a lot of trees the evening before they pick up some nice branches on the side of the road. Poeple will look at you funny.

·
Administrator
Retired
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For some reason fence lines seem to be a good place for finging stick. Sadly I can't get out and walk the woods like I once did. I do drive some of the back roads watching for sticks. Mobile has alot of trees I have stopped when I see a tree triming outfit triming out or taking out a tree and for 10 bucks gotten a dozen or so nice branches for sticks. Also every two weeks the do yard trash pick up. The city has a web site that shows what days they are picking up and where. I have driven neighborhoods I know have a lot of trees the evening before they pick up some nice branches on the side of the road. Poeple will look at you funny.
Buddy they can look all they want, the sticks are what count. I love it.

·
Administrator
142 Posts
oh yeah, until I found this forum, I would gather a minimum of "prospects" to hang onto for years.
now that I have a few, I know pretty much how I want them to look after processing them.
time to break out the pneumatic grinders & sanders.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I spotted something not mentioned here or at least I've not found it. And I know I've thrown a few sticks away that I could have done this to. Something called a thumb stick. I've now got that possibility in the back of my mind. And sanding down a stick to meet your needs. Mine have been all natural until I literally hogged one together that I posted. But even it had very little sanding. You can get carried away making sticks and canes. But I'm not artistic enough to get fancy with carvings. I'm a little envious of all of you that can do that stuff.

·
Administrator
Retired
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I spotted something not mentioned here or at least I've not found it. And I know I've thrown a few sticks away that I could have done this to. Something called a thumb stick. I've now got that possibility in the back of my mind. And sanding down a stick to meet your needs. Mine have been all natural until I literally hogged one together that I posted. But even it had very little sanding. You can get carried away making sticks and canes. But I'm not artistic enough to get fancy with carvings. I'm a little envious of all of you that can do that stuff.
If you like the stick, nothing else matters. I know I have had sticks most people would use for kindling. I did have to look up thumb stick though, they are pretty cool sticks, I will be collecting a few of those.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is another version of a thumb stick or some just use the natural Y top of a stick with no hole or widen area for the thumb.
View attachment 28161
Yep, that's the version I saw being made. And I know I've thrown away some that would have been a natural for that style. I simply have to keep my eyes open for all the different possibilities.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I still haven't found anything to make a one piece thumbstick out of. Or a one piece cardigan or crook either for that matter. i like going stick picking after good wind storms. That's how I get a lot of my handle material.
Hurricanes are a great source of sticks too.

·
Administrator
Retired
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't think I will have to go stick hunting for a while. We are having a huge tree taken down as we speak. There are hundreds and hundreds of sticks to choose from. I will get a photo or two of the sticks soon. Can't remember the name of the tree right off hand but I do know it is a really hard wood but not good for anything.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.