Walking Stick Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
Retired
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Here are a couple of photos of some of the stick I will go through and save the good ones. I remembered the name of the wood, it is Hackberry and a little Ash and some Pecan. The main trunk of the pecan I will use for smoking meats.

Attachments

·
Administrator
Retired
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I am totally overwhelmed with the amount of lumber and brush there is in our back yard right now. These photos were made before all the trees and brush was on the ground. The last photo here is what I have ahead of me cleaning up and sorting.
Sky Plant community Wood Cloud Branch

·
Administrator
Retired
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Could that be a Sycamore tree? You sure got lots of wood out of it. (y)
No, thank goodness, it isn't Sycamore, it is Hackberry. I read it was a fair fire wood and splits easily, we will see once I have it cut to length. I made a good dent in separating the brush yesterday but figure one or so more days to complete separating the brush from the logs. I have already spotted a few good walking sticks.

·
Administrator
Retired
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hmm, our Hackberries don’t get that big here.
I read that somewhere that Hackberries don't get this big. This tree is probably at least 36 inches thick and was at least 60-70 foot tall. If it isn't a Hackberry I have no idea what it is. I do know what a Sycamore looks like and this isn't one for sure. I guess I need to do some research and see actually what it is.

·
Administrator
Retired
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I just went out and checked, the tree is 33 inches thick at 4 foot off the ground. He had to leave that much because the fence had grown into the tree. I also checked and it is a Hackberry. This photo is of one of the smaller trees we cut down, but the same bark as the big tree.
Leaf Branch Wood Twig Water

21 - 30 of 30 Posts