Walking Stick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, back in April (April 1st to be exact) I damaged my shoulder tossing logs on a wagon! All these months later it hasn't gotten any better -- it turns out I have at least one tear maybe more than one, and I have to schedule surgery for some time after the first week in December.

My plan is to collect as many sticks between now and then as I can, the Doc said that I will be out of commission for a while after the surgery! :-(

I don't want to miss out on the harvesting for this year -- it's become almost as much fun for me as deer harvesting!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Ouch, ouch!

Don't push yourself. Stress doesn't improve torn ligaments, and shattered cartilage is very hard to grow back. A few of my friends (over 50) have had rotator cuff problems, and their surgery was only a patch.

Do get out and search the woods. One needs to keep moving, but it doesn't need to be athletic. I started collecting sticks as a way of making my completely self-indulgent weekend strolls worth while. A few hours out in the woods and fields repairs lots of mental wear and tear, even if it leaves the muscles and joints kinda sore. If I'm lucky enough to find a stick that I can loosen w. just a few cuts, I'm happy.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Praying for you! I hate being down for any reason. It will give you some time to draw out some ideas maybe, which is always helpful in the long run.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Good luck,and best wishes for a rapid and full recovery! Aging is sometimes the pits.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ouch,,,, haven't had trouble with my shoulder, but tore the Miniscus in my knee and had surgery and tore my bicep. The knee is 100% better and the bicep is just now getting better, it took a year to heal.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well -- it's off to surgery tomorrow! When I can think straight again I wil resume posting and stick making (maybe one handed for a while)
:)

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Good luck, and wishing you a speedy rehab/recovery.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts