Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pardon me, I don't mean to be offensive. How are these walking sticks? They just look like branches cut from trees, take the straightest part, trim off some side branches and put a rubber foot on!!! Am I missing something?

Sorry

·
Super Moderator
954 Posts
They're walking sticks because they are sticks you can use to walk with. Blindingly obvious, I would have thought.

We each have something in mind when we decide to exercise our creativity.

It's not as though we bought a cane someone else made, did a slight alteration, and suddenly considered ourselves master craftsmen.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Alan, take me for instance. I could never make anything like CV3, I mean Randy has talent way beyond what I could even dream of doing but we both enjoy the hobby of making canes, walking sticks and hiking sticks. There's just something
about rescuing a branch of wood and making use of it whether is comes out artful or just plain purposeful.
I enjoy harvesting a piece of wood and making something of it whether it be a simple piece or something a little more
complex.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought one of the points of a hiking stick was todo just that go hiking find a good piece taken off the forest floor and make it into something to hike with. I don’t take down trees I only take the fallen branches. It’s all part of the experience.and im sure you have a magic ability to make sticks but obviously you must be beyond me I guess.

·
Administrator
133 Posts
I thought one of the points of a hiking stick was todo just that go hiking find a good piece taken off the forest floor and make it into something to hike with. I don’t take down trees I only take the fallen branches. It’s all part of the experience.and im sure you have a magic ability to make sticks but obviously you must be beyond me I guess.
Scom - we don't "make" hiking sticks. As you have noted, all we do is "embellish" what Mother Nature gives us either to make it more utilitarian or just for looks.

the topic of this forum is "walking sticks" which is a different animal all together from the Hiking Stick. Walking sticks, canes, etc. are to assist in support for those of us that have mobility or stability issues when we are "up and about". THEN, some of those are "made" by hand. Sometimes turned or fine-tuned on a wood lathe or with hand and power tools. Some will have decorative ornaments for the handles and different woods and metals in the shaft just for decorative features. (or threaded inserts so they can be taken apart).
Thank You for sharing your projects with us. We look forward to seeing more of your work.

Edit: Alan, Just to clarify the terms we soometimes use.
Jeans Tire Tree Plant Wheel

Plant Plant community Shorts People in nature Tree

·
Super Moderator
954 Posts
No offense John, but I think you're making a distinction without a difference. I'd say that hiking sticks and walking sticks are pretty much the same thing as opposed to canes. (And yeah, I know the Brits usually refer to canes as walking sticks, but they also call sneakers plimsolls. ;) )

I'd say that the distinction should be drawn at where the item in question is being held, as well as their use. Walking/hiking sticks are held along their length whereas canes are held by their top end (whether it is a crook handle or a knob, it is still the top end of the stick). Walking/hiking sticks are more multi-purpose from maintaining balance on rough terrain to jumping a stream, from breaking trail to whacking offending critters, all of which depends on a longer and probably stouter stick.

Canes are the more urbane cousins of the walking/hiking stick with little cross-over beside the possible use of whacking offending critters (two legged instead of four)

But that's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hmm. "am I missing something"? I should think you just may.

I made a total of one walking stick so far, cost me less than 10 bucks, out of a wooden dowel, some linseed oil and some gold coloured spray paint that my daughter bought several years ago. I made a topper and sprayed it gold to "kind of look like" brass from several feet away. It's certainly not near good enough to post on Instagram, but I like it and it does the job, as amateurish as it may be.

I burn wood, so I literally have tons of material to use and am surrounded by trees so have an almost unlimited supply of material, especially after a wind storm.

Next up - a cane with maybe a store bought Hame Top cane handle. Now I'll have to buy a fancy hat and coat to go along with it...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Out of respect, I resisted in replying so far, but I guess I've been asked multiple times.............

I guess I have a different standard if I make something particular sharing on a public forum. I don't make canes, I came here to get some information to modify my canes for self defense as I practice stick fight. BUT I do have other hobbies that I make and be very proud of. My latest is design extreme high end hifi power amps that compare with power amps in $5K+ range. When I make it, it's not home made with wires all over the place, not only I compete on sound quality, but the build quality. This, I don't mind sharing on forums. Everything is pc boards, professional connectors, all modular design. Not just wire nest running all over.
Circuit component Electronic instrument Electrical wiring Audio equipment Computer hardware
Computer cooling Electronic instrument Computer hardware Audio equipment Entertainment

I guess if I just want a cane, people can buy one for like $10 and looks a lot better. If I make something and put it on the forum, I would think people will put a lot more work to show the workmanship.

Sorry, I don't come to this forum anymore, I just did not "unwatch" this thread. I am going to do that. You don't have to reply.

Again, sorry.

·
Administrator
133 Posts
aahhhh yes, I remember you now, Alan - you were first looking for a "hard rubber foot" for your self-defense canes.
I think you are way out of our reach when it comes really advanced projects like you make. (and that is a compliment).
we are mostly just plain old country folk here that make canes for artistic reasons as well as to get around with.
wishing you all the best in all your adventures.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I like hiking sticks, they're fast and fun to make. Sticks don't need to be fancy to be enjoyable.

i think there is a place on this forum for anyone who makes sticks, simple or ornate, and at all skill levels.
My first cane was about as crude and ugly as it gets. I also cut it about an inch too short to use comfortably. I keep it around so my head doesn't get too big. My next few were better, but very simple, using natural branch sections as handles. I still enjoy making them.
Without places like this forum for inspiration, maybe I would have given up.

The point is, make what you enjoy Skom and post your work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts