Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
954 Posts
They're walking sticks because they are sticks you can use to walk with. Blindingly obvious, I would have thought.

We each have something in mind when we decide to exercise our creativity.

It's not as though we bought a cane someone else made, did a slight alteration, and suddenly considered ourselves master craftsmen.

·
Super Moderator
954 Posts
No offense John, but I think you're making a distinction without a difference. I'd say that hiking sticks and walking sticks are pretty much the same thing as opposed to canes. (And yeah, I know the Brits usually refer to canes as walking sticks, but they also call sneakers plimsolls. ;) )

I'd say that the distinction should be drawn at where the item in question is being held, as well as their use. Walking/hiking sticks are held along their length whereas canes are held by their top end (whether it is a crook handle or a knob, it is still the top end of the stick). Walking/hiking sticks are more multi-purpose from maintaining balance on rough terrain to jumping a stream, from breaking trail to whacking offending critters, all of which depends on a longer and probably stouter stick.

Canes are the more urbane cousins of the walking/hiking stick with little cross-over beside the possible use of whacking offending critters (two legged instead of four)

But that's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts