Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked what would be the ideal hiking pole to have and thought thats a difficult question.

so loads of people here have a different view piont so whats your perfect one?

Mine would be a hazels shaft with a nice snake skin patteren on the bark (i never remover the bark its usually far to nice and provides the perfect packaging once oiled)

Mayby a chestnut shank cant decide

Fitted with a brass ferule that has at least 4mm thick bottom for extended life.

a screw on attachment to allow diffent toppers to be attached

A silver collar to cover up the jiont

A few interchangable toppers to fix in so i could change them when i wished.

1 mayby consting of my own dodo bird

2 mayby a gargoyle

3 a nordic ships figure head

4 a wild fowl head of some kind

As long as the shank has been seasoned for 2 years and several coats of oil applied should last a life time which by the way i have used up to much of mine

Shank daimeterno more 1.25inches with a overall height of 52 inches including topper

may by a badge with the licolnshire emblem or poacher on and my initials

So what would yours be?

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I haven't decided yet. Like sticks, their makers can be too green to work well, and so I am a green stick maker.

My first attempts at my own sticks have included brass or copper ferrules, brass or copper wire wraps at one-foot intervals for measuring, and embedded pins representing geological societies on one, or military units with which I served on another.

Toppers:

One has interchangeable toppers, a mount for an Abney level, a mount for a camera, and a hardwood block with a diver's compass embedded.

The other has a 27 oz. "European style" rock hammer head on top, to ensure that I win all debates at the outcrop, while "knapping the chucky stanes."

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes its oftern done to sticks .making interchangle toppers isnt difficult.Some have a shot of whisky inside there stick with the detachable handle acts as a cup .Sword sticks are collectable now and command a decent price.

Like the idea of useing it as a yard stick for mesuring

I intend to make a stcik with interchanagle toppers its more fun

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The one i have seen had a small diameter glass file inside the shank and a hightly decorated silver cup in the shap of a foxs head. only holds a wee dram.

The american style shanks usually are much bigger than ours.Most of ours are only 1"-1.25" in diameter, so should be easy to mount a file in a thick shank .

The uk hikers like strong lightweight shanks and 1" shank is strong durable and light , to big or heavy topper would spoil the balance and look?

I do like a muti purpose stick tho

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way CAS talking of whiskey mine is a double shot of 15year old ,Old Pultny single malt.

You can send one over LOL

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Cheers! A virtual double for you, Sir!

I'm lifting a double Pendleton 1910 Rye, on the rocks, to you.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny that i am now drinking a whiskey mac (thats grants whiskey with stones ginger wine) cant beat it on a cold winters evening

sooooo chears

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is one scary bit of kit.Would be totally illegal here over now

Mind you i wouldnt even like to see the police carry guns.And still find it disturbing to see it at airports

Thank goodnes for our gun controls

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well Rad this is something we would have to agree to disagree on.After all the incidents regarding guns in america supprised the majority of americans agree with it .

But it should be left up to the American peolpe to decide not you goverment.Only way to resolve that question is by holding a referemdum. To many laws are forced through with lobbist for they own advantages its almost like buisness can change everything to there advantage

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
So, with all due respect to everyone, I'll take the middle ground. I don't feel like I am guaranteed a weapon as a part of a "well-regulated militia" but I do believe that jurists would agree that I can own weapons, short of ICBMs, nukes, artillery, tanks, fighter jets, destroyers, anti-tank weapons, machine guns, and others. I have never been charged with a felony, although there have been times that my wife has said I'm nuts. That could be. Felons and the insane should not be allowed to own firearms, in my opinion.

As a combat veteran with a brother who worked nearly 30 years in law enforcement, I do fear those who might feel they should exercise lethal force as vigilantes in a crisis situation outside their own homes. Too many, even with police academy training, can't exercise good judgment before having significant experience.

I'd rather take my chances with a demented gang banger than a theater full of Barney Fifes drawing down and trying to decide whether and who to shoot. Just my opinion. I do have a 12-ga. pump locked away for home defence, but I can get to my shillelagh a lot quicker. It works just like a pugil stick in boot camp, and I was undefeated.

Reactions: JD79

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
A two-time Medal of Honor awardee, Major General Smedley Butler, USMC, wrote a book: "War is a Racket" in the 1930's, in which he coined the phrase "the military industrial complex." Another famous general officer also used that term, 20 years later, President Dwight Eisenhower. That lobby group still favors the sale of many currently illegal weapons to everyone, even felons. It is all about money, the Golden Calf, the new God.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I realise that americans have a different opinion to people here and that is your right . its in your bill of rights

But how likley is it that you would need such weapons

I think that such things should be left to the pros ,law enforcement and milatary

But its only a opinion

I understand that this is a controversial subject over there and i have no background of such things as never even held a weapon of any kind.but i dont wish to offend

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Cobalt, we have a centuries-long tradition of hunting. I grew up hunting quail every fall with my dad, his best friend a d the friend's son. Alongside the Thanksgiving and Christmas turkeys was always a huge platter of quail.

We have an undesirable amount of home burglaries by armed intruders. We are reluctant to disarm criminals, I suppose due to the weapons lobby. So we may require a weapon to survive a home invasion. The ability to legally carry weapons in public places for the purpose of killing people is something that I object to. Hunting quail is okay. Hunting humans is something that will haunt you in the wee hours for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I understand that this is a controversial subject over there and i have no background of such things as never even held a weapon of any kind.
You do carry a stick don't you? :) well we can leave the fire arm issue behind -- all this just because I keep something other than whiskey in my cane. :)

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I understand that this is a controversial subject over there and i have no background of such things as never even held a weapon of any kind.
You do carry a stick don't you? :) well we can leave the fire arm issue behind -- all this just because I keep something other than whiskey in my cane. :)
Agreed Rad, too personal and controversial. Legitimate positions on all sides, and each of us is entitled to our respective views. I do like the whiskey idea.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dam lost the thread

Rad you have the wrong idea about us ,we have shotguns for hunting is a big buisness from estate management to the forestry commision, gamekeeper to the beaters /Even provide work for the specalist clothing community.and others .It would be a distaster for the rural community to lose it.Its just that the idea of carrying and using auto weapons and pistols we find strange .but thats for the american people to decide

But i would rather talk about getting some of that rye CAS is holding sounds good for me.I take it its not just medicinal

Like the idea of a whisky totting stick maker, so this is tempting me to make one.That would be part of the ideal stick but wouldnt last long would still need the hip flasck eh

1 - 20 of 40 Posts