Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Valky307 If you are asking about the sticks they call "tobacco sticks" they are sticks they used in tobacco barns to hang tobacco leaves to dry there hundreds in a barn. I think you will fined they are a variety of woods depending on thwhat was available in the area. Randy at "Kentucky Walking Sticks"sells them and he is very good a answering emails. He could tell you more.
This may be a site you would find usefull I refer to it often.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered 6 Tobacco blanks at a fairly reasonable price so I will see what I can do with them. Of late I'm having trouble harvesting sticks from our lake shore that's fitting to my working parameters so I decided to purchase some beyond my local arena.

Administrator
Retired
He DOES have a really good price on the tobacco sticks, I would guess shipping would be fairly high thought. I would like to have a couple of those, does the tobacco stain the sticks a tan color?

Registered
He DOES have a really good price on the tobacco sticks, I would guess shipping would be fairly high thought. I would like to have a couple of those, does the tobacco stain the sticks a tan color?
Hi big Jim. I have not gotten ant of those from him so I do not know but after years of tobacco hanging on them I am sure there would be some co;lor transfer. I have orderd other sticks from him and have always been happy with what I got. I has been a few years so I do not know what shiping would be. But if you email him with you zip code he will give you a quote.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My order with shipping rounds out to about $7.50 per stick. Reasonable in my opinion. (y)
Add in my choice of ornamental crown tops, brass and leather etc. and not considering work time of course because it's a hobby. I think I'll have like $10 invested per stick but then I don't sell them just give them away. The fun of it is coming up with the next unique creation!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the tobacco sticks today but haven't unpackaged them yet but from the feel of them through the wrapping they are not round sticks but mostly square in diameter. I was not expecting that! It might take a lot more work to render them into the hiking sticks that I imagined. I see time with a stationary belt sander in my future come Spring! LOL
Or maybe I should step out of the box and create something completely out of the norm!:rolleyes:

Administrator
well, we need to see some pictures to provide any advice on that one.
you can get some really nice woodworking power tools at Harbor Freight that would help with shaping.
do you have any experience with hand carving tools ? do you have a 4" angle grinder ?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm too busy right now with Christmas so I put the wrapped package in the garage and probably won't open them until a warm day after the new year but rest assured I will take pics when I do. (y)
Well it was 75 degrees today so I unpacked the tobacco sticks and will take of pic of them tomorrow. I must admit they are not what I expected but come Spring I will see what I can make of them. I see massive hours of sanding in my future. :oops:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I worked on my first tobacco stick today. Sadly they don't seem to have much caricature after sanding. I fully expected to find some permanent staining from the tobacco leaves but not so. Nor did I find any graining and there are some really soft spots which worries me a bit. I also discovered worm grooves but not many. So thinking I should try something different I made my own grooves with the Dremel tool. I then dark stained it and topped it off with a hunk of sycamore knot. I still need to add a leather grip and a good finish but think I can complete it this week.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.