Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent a good part of today on tool maintenance. Greased the shafts of my rotary tools. tuned up the edges on the chisels. Had to redo the edge on 3 palm tools. They had some micro chips along the cutting edge. Happens when I try and take too deep a cut in the hard woods I use. I have had big chips and had to regrind a whole new edge. The higher Rockwell rated tools can be a bit brittle. Cleaned and gave every thing a light coat of oil. Rust is always a issue in our high humidity. I try and do a general fix and clean twice a year. should be good tell spring.

·
Registered
907 Posts
A good way to go, shoudl probably check all my tools out for any work required, re the light oiling, many years a go one of the uncles who was a joiner in the building industry thus outside working, gave me the tip to use candle wax ie rub a candle on the tools not only does it protect it does not stain hands, clothing, materials etc, the added advantage is if used on saws it acts as a lubricant when sawing as friction melts it. This advice was given when he was doing a job for me and I asked what the candles were for in his toolbox.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.