Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had really high hopes for this ash stick when I collected it since it had a really interesting tangle of roots. (It is circled in red on the first pic) But when I got digging around in them, I found that most were rotten. I removed most of the rot and was left with an odd-looking cane which was not very comfortable to hold. I set it aside thinking maybe I'd put a new handle on it someday.

Fast forward a year or so and I got looking at it again and thought, Hey, that kind of looks like a snake which is twisting in anger at being grabbed. So that's what I'm going to try. Won't be a full Mike Stinnett snake with all the scales and paint job, just a stylized one.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
That is a great beginning for a snake! I look forward to seeing it progress. Nice find.

Reactions: dww2

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finished the cane yesterday. Turned out pretty nice, I think.
Water Head Plant Street light People in nature
Water Wood Reptile Snake Art
Shorts Plant Wood People in nature Gesture
Water Wood Wood stain Musical instrument Hardwood

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is quite comfortable, but only left handed. The shank fits nicely under the heel of my hand and lines up well for putting weight on it. Held in my right hand the twist where it becomes the shank kind of hits on my little finger and it feels like it would slip if weight were put on it.

Still, pretty happy with the way it turned out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It is quite comfortable, but only left handed. The shank fits nicely under the heel of my hand and lines up well for putting weight on it. Held in my right hand the twist where it becomes the shank kind of hits on my little finger and it feels like it would slip if weight were put on it.

Still, pretty happy with the way it turned out.
Excellent!

Funnily enough, I am left-handed, but I need to use the cane on my right side.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm a lefty too. I don't normally use a cane, but I have a walking stick I use when I take the dogs out and tend to hold it in my right hand.

I did a cane a while ago which is AMAZINGLY comfortable in my right hand but can't be held left handed. It's just the way the roots happened to grow.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I like the snake DWW2. Good use of the shape. I can see how the righthanded cane would be comfortable. It is very unique. Nice color too.

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys.

Even the gf (who uses a cane) said "Wow" when i told her to hold the right handed cane. She agreed that it feels like the roots just grew around her hand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts