Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shop is not close at hand (about 4 hours away) so I don't get to work in it as often as I would like! 4 more years and I will retire an spend all the time I want there! That being said, back during Thanksgiving break I started work on a cane -- I am turning a piece of Cast Acrylic -- Never turned Acrylic before, so it has been kind of fun and a learning experience! I started with a piece that looked like this:

Rectangle Grey Tile flooring Flooring Wood Grey Rectangle Wood Composite material Natural material

It looks nothing like that now (sorry no pictures) After Easter I will get back to the shop for our Easter Vacation and I'll take pictures of my progress --- I have yet to decide what kind of topper to put on it -- Any Suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll be working on the acrylic cane this week -- and I will probably be out of contact, no "online" where we are going! Have a great week, and as Red Green would say "Keep Your Stick on the Ice"

·
Registered
419 Posts
I really like that collar and antler look. How is the strength of the antler? If it had any weak spot that leverage point would be it, though the downward curve probably helps.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really like that collar and antler look. How is the strength of the antler? If it had any weak spot that leverage point would be it, though the downward curve probably helps.
Thank you! Only time will tell -- I did reinforce that point of leverage with 2500 PSI epoxy -- we'll see. I did hesitate using the antler, but it looked so good!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks great! I like how you have mix of new technology and traditional materials.
Thank you Markus -- I figured if these guys that turn pens out of acrylic could make it work, surely I could turn a cane! I had to go really slow -- it was kind of like turning metal, until it came to sanding and polishing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts