Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
They're not quite polar opposites. I would say both are more casual but one is definitely more rustic than the other.

First up is the rustic one I mentioned I was working on in an earlier post. It's weathered red oak with a birch handle and is a larger cane.

This was a fun one to make and I'm pretty pleased with it.

Water Plant Trunk Terrestrial plant Grass
Plant Grass Groundcover Wood Twig
Plant Human body Tree Natural landscape Trunk

The second one is a turned ladies cane. Much smaller and more delicate. It's definitely more of a city stick though I would say more casual than formal.

The handle is figured maple and madrone burl and the shank is curly maple and cherry. I was hoping for more contrast between the maple and cherry.

Musical instrument Plant Wood Terrestrial plant Vegetation
Plant Musical instrument Natural landscape Terrestrial plant Vegetation
Plant Vegetation Grass Groundcover Terrestrial plant

There are alternating spacers of cherry and maple in the middle of the shank but the pictures really don't show them well.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Great looking sticks, Rodney.

It's funny, but I was just thinking about the rustic vs. formal thing the other day. I finally got out into the shop and started a new cane using that wildly angled piece of alder as a handle on a really sweet maple shank (the thing was damn close to perfect: straight as an arrow and only a few small twig scars). I was debating how much of the rusticity I should leave in the handle since I was putting it on a straight, traditional shank. Decided to leave as much of the rustic character as I could while still making it comfortable.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.