Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished these two a couple days ago. I've had a nasty little chest cold for the last week and haven't felt like posting much. Mostly I've been lying around whining and wishing I felt better.

I had a lady comment that she wished my canes were more petite. OK. I'm happy to see what I can do with that and my Derbies could use a re-design anyway.

Here's what I came up with.

Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover Shrub
Plant Botany Terrestrial plant Vegetation Fawn
Plant Botany Wood Terrestrial plant Grass
Plant Wood Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover
Plant Wood Terrestrial plant Musical instrument Grass
Plant Grass Terrestrial plant Groundcover Pole

Both handles were cut from the same piece of oak, a big ugly cluster of limbs that had some really nice burl like grain hiding inside. It also had a lot of rot so I won't be able to get too many handles from it.

The first one has maple and black walnut spacers and an alder shank and the second one has a holly spacer and hazel shank. The shanks are only around 1" diameter at the top. My wife has small hands and she likes the fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Other than a couple I made early on all my canes get multiple coats of Minwax tung oil finish then they're buffed out using #0000 steel wool and paste wax.

I tried Watco tung oil and didn't like it. I think Minwax uses more hardeners in theirs.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dana. I have a little more I can try to get some handles out of but the last piece I tried with that brown in it was so punky I couldn't use it. There are also a lot of checks in it. If I get something like this one again I'll coat it with shellac to try and control the checking.

This was about the ugliest piece of wood you could think of on the outside. A rotten main branch end that was grown over with multiple smaller branches growing out at all angles. I love cutting into stuff like that. It's always interesting.

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
I know with turning it seems to be the ugliest burls which make the nicest bowls.

Trees do some amazing things when healing wounds. The swirls of grain and bird's eyes from suckers sprouting just add so much character to a piece of wood.

Have you ever tried a wood stabilizer of any kind? That nice crook I did a while back had rot all the way through it, but with multiple doses of stabilizer, turned out quite sturdy. I think it was Minwax brand.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I basically aim for the ugly stuff just like turners do.

No I haven't stabilizing yet.

I'm not sure how far the Minwax product will penetrate. Have you checked on any scrap?

The oak might be a good one for stabilization.

Have you looked at products like Cactus Juice? It takes a vacuum chamber to use it and it's heat cured but a lot of wood turners like it. You can get pretty much full penetration on smaller pieces.

I would like to try it but it's expensive to get started.

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
I looked at Cactus juice, but I don't have a vacuum chamber, plus I think she'd object to me baking wood in the oven. (She already gives me the hairy eyeball when I dry a handle blank in the microwave, so why push it? LOL)

The rot in that handle ran all the way through the central part of the root (see pic). I poured in a bit and let it soak. Then poured some more, and so on until it wouldn't take any more. Seems to have penetrated into the surrounding wood a bit as well. Topped it off with sawdust and glue.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It might be worth giving it a try. That was a good save on that handle.

I keep it to a minimum but my wife has been pretty good about letting me bring glue ups in in the winter and letting me steam the occasional stick on the stove when I need to. The hot plate I use outside doesn't throw out quite enough heat at times. I'm thinking about making my own to run off 220.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.