Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
As far as the right angle a Miter Box works great. You can get precision one at a good price. I made the first one and used it for years. I still use one for cutting my sticks. I clamp the stick to it I get a smooth square cut every time. A drilling jig that works petty well is not had to make either. Before I got my Shop Smith. I made my own.

Drilling jig.

I. Cut 2 or 3 2"x 4" 5"long. then cut a matching number of 1"x 4" the same size.

2. draw an x going corner to corner on each of the blocks 2 x 4 blocks gave me a center point.

3. I drill a hole in center of each of the blocks each hole will be different sizes. I use one of these 3 size allthread, 5/16th" , 3/8th" or 1/4th" to connect toppers to the shaft. Using 3 2"x 4" blocks I drilled one size hole in the center each 2"x 4".To make sure that each hole is square I use piece of heavy tin bent in a L shape. It will work well as drilling guide for a straight hole.( See Picture. )

4. I would choose 2x4 block with the size hole I needed and would place it square on the top of a 1x4. Then using the hole in the 2x4 I marked the center on the 1x4 with a pencil.

5. Then I would put a small nail or brad in the center of the top of the shaft or shank. Then drill a small hole in the center mark on the 1x4 about the size of the brad or nail. Then place nail coming out of the shaft in that hole and trace around the shaft. Then if you have a drill bit just a bit smaller than the shape of the tracing of the top of the shaft drill a hole.Then with a file or a coping saw make the hole the same size and shape of the shaft.

6. Then using 4 screws attach the 1x4 to the 2x4.

7. Then you have a drill jig that fits on top of the shaft and you can drill a straight hole in to the shaft.

If most of you shafts are basically the same size you can reuse the same jig. I had about 10 different 1x4 's cut outs. I could almost always fined on that fit the shaft I was using.

I hope this is useful.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
As far as the right angle a Miter Box works great. You can get precision one at a good price. I made the first one and used it for years. I still use one for cutting my sticks. I clamp the stick to it I get a smooth square cut every time. A drilling jig that works petty well is not had to make either. Before I got my Shop Smith. I made my own.

Drilling jig.

I. Cut 2 or 3 2"x 4" 5"long. then cut a matching number of 1"x 4" the same size.

2. draw an x going corner to corner on each of the blocks 2 x 4 blocks gave me a center point.

3. I drill a hole in center of each of the blocks each hole will be different sizes. I use one of these 3 size allthread, 5/16th" , 3/8th" or 1/4th" to connect toppers to the shaft. Using 3 2"x 4" blocks I drilled one size hole in the center each 2"x 4".To make sure that each hole is square I use piece of heavy tin bent in a L shape. It will work well as drilling guide for a straight hole.( See Picture. )

4. I would choose 2x4 block with the size hole I needed and would place it square on the top of a 1x4. Then using the hole in the 2x4 I marked the center on the 1x4 with a pencil.

5. Then I would put a small nail or brad in the center of the top of the shaft or shank. Then drill a small hole in the center mark on the 1x4 about the size of the brad or nail. Then place nail coming out of the shaft in that hole and trace around the shaft. Then if you have a drill bit just a bit smaller than the shape of the tracing of the top of the shaft drill a hole.Then with a file or a coping saw make the hole the same size and shape of the shaft.

6. Then using 4 screws attach the 1x4 to the 2x4.

7. Then you have a drill jig that fits on top of the shaft and you can drill a straight hole in to the shaft.

If most of you shafts are basically the same size you can reuse the same jig. I had about 10 different 1x4 's cut outs. I could almost always fined on that fit the shaft I was using.

I hope this is useful.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.