Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They do not forget,

No matter the name they gave the war or the years that have passed since the Veterans stood on the field of battle their memory is fresh. They have not forgotten the exhilaration and the simultaneous wave of fear that rolls though their soul in that first engagement. They have not forgotten the first time they heard the bullet as it struck the man that had been standing next to them. They have not forgotten the way the ground quivered as artillery fell peppering the area around them or the ringing in their ears as the sound surrounded them. They have not forgotten sound of men dying or the stench from days of death. They have not forgotten the hollow look in the eyes of those still standing as the smoke cleared or the over whelming relief it had all stopped, if only for the moment. No matter if this was felt once or a hundred times they have not forgotten. Because of this they should never be forgotten. The men and women that believed we as a country were worth the sacrifice that comes from those haunting memories that they carry for their lifetime, along with whatever physical sacrifices they may have made. Too often when the parades are over, and flags have stopped waving the Veteran becomes a passing thought that’s brought out each November 11th. And yet many would answer the call when it comes again. They have not forgotten why they were there. In the years to come add those Veteran’s to that daily prayer. They have earned it.

A USMC Sergeant

Sempr Fi

·
Registered
751 Posts
Thank you for your service, Randy and any other vets who may read this.

My grand father Lee York (a sergeant in the US Army Air Force in WWII) was one of the young men and women lucky enough to return home from war, but it affected him deeply for the rest of his life.

I'm not a religious person so I don't pray, but I certainly hope for a day when there is no longer a need for our young men and women to risk or lose their lives or physical/mental health in some far away land.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts