Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They do not forget,

No matter the name they gave the war or the years that have passed since the Veterans stood on the field of battle their memory is fresh. They have not forgotten the exhilaration and the simultaneous wave of fear that rolls though their soul in that first engagement. They have not forgotten the first time they heard the bullet as it struck the man that had been standing next to them. They have not forgotten the way the ground quivered as artillery fell peppering the area around them or the ringing in their ears as the sound surrounded them. They have not forgotten sound of men dying or the stench from days of death. They have not forgotten the hollow look in the eyes of those still standing as the smoke cleared or the over whelming relief it had all stopped, if only for the moment. No matter if this was felt once or a hundred times they have not forgotten. Because of this they should never be forgotten. The men and women that believed we as a country were worth the sacrifice that comes from those haunting memories that they carry for their lifetime, along with whatever physical sacrifices they may have made. Too often when the parades are over, and flags have stopped waving the Veteran becomes a passing thought that’s brought out each November 11th. And yet many would answer the call when it comes again. They have not forgotten why they were there. In the years to come add those Veteran’s to that daily prayer. They have earned it.

A USMC Sergeant

Sempr Fi

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
Thank you for your service, Randy and any other vets who may read this.

My grand father Lee York (a sergeant in the US Army Air Force in WWII) was one of the young men and women lucky enough to return home from war, but it affected him deeply for the rest of his life.

I'm not a religious person so I don't pray, but I certainly hope for a day when there is no longer a need for our young men and women to risk or lose their lives or physical/mental health in some far away land.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly War is a part of the human psyche. I has been from the beginning of time. I do not know of any time there was not someone someplace in a war setting. If there was such a time they were preparing for the next one to come along.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As a combat Veteran (Vietnam 69-70 and 10 years in the AF, I am also aware of how servicemen and women are often ignored or even forgotten. Your post is a fine example how the Veteran should never be forgotten or just dragged out every Nov. 11th. Thank you again. Rev. D.K.Crabtree Chaplain, VVA Chapter 989, Reno Nevada.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a combat Veteran (Vietnam 69-70 and 10 years in the AF, I am also aware of how servicemen and women are often ignored or even forgotten. Your post is a fine example how the Veteran should never be forgotten or just dragged out every Nov. 11th. Thank you again. Rev. D.K.Crabtree Chaplain, VVA Chapter 989, Reno Nevada.
Hi revnd 2000, I was there 65 - 67. I lived in Reno 70 through 72. Great area. Spent what ever time I could up at Pyramid lake.

·
Administrator
Retired
202 Posts
At times like this, I feel guilty, I was the hook runner on an aircraft carrier at the beginning of the Vietnam war. You guys in Nam were the real deal and are my hero's. While I had planes headed straight toward me when they landed, it was nothing to compare to what you fellows went through, that is why I feel guilty.

Thank you so much for being there for the rest of us.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
At times like this, I feel guilty, I was the hook runner on an aircraft carrier at the beginning of the Vietnam war. You guys in Nam were the real deal and are my hero's. While I had planes headed straight toward me when they landed, it was nothing to compare to what you fellows went through, that is why I feel guilty.

Thank you so much for being there for the rest of us.
Jim what you were doing kept planes in the air that saved my six more than once. Thank you! Drop any guilt!!

·
Administrator
138 Posts
there should never be any guilt in the military of when or where they were stationed or what their job was.
from the lowly messcook and deck seaman to the admiral - EACH person had a job to do to keep the wheels turning.
I too felt guilty for many years until I met a woodcarver at one of my sign get togethers. he was a POW in VietNam for over 7 years while I was eating cherry pie in Key West, Florida. he is the one that explained to me about the jobs we all had and from that day forward, I felt proud of my part in the war effort, no matter how small it was.
since this thread is about "remembering" - I will never forget my friend, Cdr. Ralph Gaither. he was 6 years older than me and sadly, passed away a couple of years ago. his hobby was making and carving main entry doors out of white oak. he gave me a carving knife that he made himself and I still use it to this very day.
his passions were the MIA/POW efforts, his family and his church. I've never met a more humble soul in all my life.
Note: he was attached to the USS Independence (CV 62)
Arm Sleeve Wood Art Artist

·
Registered
51 Posts
I lost my best friend of few months ago. Was such a gut punch as I found out when his daily emails suddenly stopped along with our normal monthly phone call where I normally just listened while he got things off his chest. I worked with him for years but when we both retired, he went to Oregon and I went back to Texas leaving 20 otherwise miserable years of California behind. He was a Ham operator and finally talked me into getting my Ham license. So when things stopped I tried one early morning to contact him by Ham and got the, "he's gone silent key". I still really haven't got over that and it's been over six months ago now. He was a sergeant and helicopter machine-gunner. RIP Sergeant William(Bill) Herbner. I really miss you my friend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.