Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted on the subject some years ago, but we are a new group and some of the new stick makers may find this a helpful.

I started carving by carving wood spirits on walking sticks. It is still one of my favorite things to make. I Held the stick in one hand and carved with the other. I was told it was not a safe way to carve a stick. But it worked for me. All the way to the ER a few months later. An older carver in the carving club I was in at the time showed me his jig. I build one and have used it for many years now. Having a way to hold a stick is safer and being able to use both hands when carving lets you have much more control over you carving. This is true with power caving too. Rapping a rubber pad around a stick and putting in a bench vise or even a BD workmate works. I now have a Rockwell jaw horse. It also works grate. But I like the jig. I have my tools right there. I do still hold my work, at times, but only with a carving glove on!! Another thig I like is I can take it camping and fishing. Just clamp it to the Workmate and clamp a rod holde to the other side of the Workmate and set it by the lake or river and carve while your fishing. Now thats the life !!!!

Wood Gas Auto part Machine Engineering

Loom Wood Floor Hardwood Flooring

Wood Tool Burin Wood stain Hand tool

·
Registered
3 Posts
I posted on the subject some years ago, but we are a new group and some of the new stick makers may find this a helpful.

I started carving by carving wood spirits on walking sticks. It is still one of my favorite things to make. I Held the stick in one hand and carved with the other. I was told it was not a safe way to carve a stick. But it worked for me. All the way to the ER a few months later. An older carver in the carving club I was in at the time showed me his jig. I build one and have used it for many years now. Having a way to hold a stick is safer and being able to use both hands when carving lets you have much more control over you carving. This is true with power caving too. Rapping a rubber pad around a stick and putting in a bench vise or even a BD workmate works. I now have a Rockwell jaw horse. It also works grate. But I like the jig. I have my tools right there. I do still hold my work, at times, but only with a carving glove on!! Another thig I like is I can take it camping and fishing. Just clamp it to the Workmate and clamp a rod holde to the other side of the Workmate and set it by the lake or river and carve while your fishing. Now thats the life !!!!

View attachment 28019
View attachment 28020
View attachment 28021
I had a shaving horse setup in mind but this is way better. I had already encounters with flesh carving, but no ER visit yet. Thx for the pics.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I saw a Shopsmith in the background. do you use it much? I have a much older one that mostly gets used as a drill press.
Also, regarding beginner tips. Do you think it would be a good idea to compile a list of tips and techniques that we've learned over the years?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw a Shopsmith in the background. do you use it much? I have a much older one that mostly gets used as a drill press.
Also, regarding beginner tips. Do you think it would be a good idea to compile a list of tips and techniques that we've learned over the years?
Hi Rodney. I love the Shop Smith, it is about 14 years old. I do use it on sticks the ability to do horizontal drilling is great for centering when drilling a hole in the top of a sticks for the handle or toppers. Ihave the bandsaw attachment for cutting out handles and basic shapes out for carving blanks. I agree with the idea of sharing tips on how to. As I understand it that is part of the concept of the new "Reading Room" on the topic page. I think it is things like that that help the site grow. The word gets out that there is helpful information and forum members here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.