Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a blast doing the yellow birch Cardigan so I thought I'd try one in walnut. Coming along nicely. I kind of wish the section of branch where the handle is from had been a bit bigger but I think it'll be fine when I'm done.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Randy. It's a trimming from the tree on my lawn.
About 30-35 years ago, my folks decided to use the slope behind their house to start a walnut orchard. (I guess "orchard" is the right word?) Dad had bought 50 or so saplings and we planted about 30 of them and stuck the rest at the edge of his garden until we could figure out where else to plant them. And of course, we didn't get around to doing it and they got too big. They were all in a clump so I dug them out with his bucket loader and put them into an old bathtub as a temporary pot. And they all died.
All but one that is. The tiniest one there. About the size of my thumb in diameter. The gf and I had just put a trailer in the old hayfield across from my folks so I put it at the front corner of the lawn. Took forever (and a lot or careful, regular pruning) but it is now an amazingly nice 30 footer about 12" at the butt.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hope you find lots of good stuff!

Did some more work on it today despite the heat and humidity. Looking pretty sweet. I think I might take a bit more off the heel area to get the curve more centered. Ran into the pith while working the handle down. Can't decide if I should fill it or just leave it as a feature. I'm thinking of trying to straighten the shank a bit too. Bark is sanded down.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nice looking wood. For just a few hours drive away you have some different types of wood. I loved the hardwood ridges along the highways when I was down that way. But being from Newfoundland, the oak that grows here in NB is sort of an exotic species for me and the maple is super-abundant compared to what I was used to. But yeah, nice looking wood.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got a coat of poly on it yesterday and managed to get quite a bit of the bow out of the shank. probably give it a good sanding and another coat tomorrow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Very nice job Dana. Now os there any particular length for a proper cardican, or whatever's most comfortable?

The poly makes it look real sharp but I don't use it myself. If I'm out in the woods, or anyone with my stick, and an accident happens, blood plus poly equals real slippery to hold onto. Just my personal opinion. I made a skinning knife for someone once and poly-finished it. Bad idea. He said it was impossible to hold.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not aware of any height requirements simply that the handle conform to the Cardigan style. The yellow birch one I made a couple of weeks ago was 48" and this one is about 38-39".

Interesting about poly. I've never heard that before. I mainly use it for its durability. I have a stick which I use in the woods when walking the dogs and it still looks pretty sharp at over 25 years old.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Right on; makes sense. I've been doing hiking sticks almost exclusively until this year when I started getting into canes. They come out nice, but I don't have the "workspace" that I do with a Moses stick.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Aspen... there's lots of it around here (New Brunswick) but I don't think I've ever tried it. Is the wood hard or soft? I prefer the harder ones like maple because I get much better detail than with, let's say, alder. Chips off too easy for me to get comfortable with. But I digress...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts