Walking Stick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm so glad I came across this forum. I got hooked on walking sticks when my father made me one for my tenth birthday in 1937, I still have it; by far my my most prized possession, and I have a lot of stuff!

I am a retired general surgeon from Upstate New York, I moved to beautiful Central Virginia twenty-eight years ago, I swear that move added many years to this tired old mans life.

I'm not sure I have much to offer, the hefty hickory stick I am working on now will most likely be my last one. I do however enjoy the nice wholesome stories and look forward to being a part of this nice group.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Welcome aboard Doc! I hope to see the result of your recent labors.

My father was a physician, he spent twenty years as a country Doc, making house calls, deliveries, minor surgery, and accepting garden veggies or fresh catch for payment when the patient had little money. Then after two heart attacks and his buddies were telling him that 80-100 hour weeks would kill him, he moved to a city and did another twenty years with more reasonable hours. He always said too many of the young ones were going into the profession for the wrong reasons (i.e. money or prestige). It's good to see an "old school" Doc on board. Thank you for serving your community for many years.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Welcome Mike! I'm sure you have more to offer than you think. :) I'd like to see a pic of that old stick your Father made you

years ago if possible? And of course your hickory and others.

Cheers,

Sean

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice to hear rom you all. When my granddaughter comes to visit I will ask her to put up a picture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome aboard Doc! I hope to see the result of your recent labors.

My father was a physician, he spent twenty years as a country Doc, making house calls, deliveries, minor surgery, and accepting garden veggies or fresh catch for payment when the patient had little money. Then after two heart attacks and his buddies were telling him that 80-100 hour weeks would kill him, he moved to a city and did another twenty years with more reasonable hours. He always said too many of the young ones were going into the profession for the wrong reasons (i.e. money or prestige). It's good to see an "old school" Doc on board. Thank you for serving your community for many years.
You sir are correct. Without getting on a soap box... I'll say that practicing medicine went from an art of passion based on the fundamental love and caring of ones fellow human. To such a convoluted mess, it makes my heart heavy. I can't remember the times I was called out of bed to care for a person in need and that is what I saw, a person in need, not $$$. This is what I chose to do. God Bless.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts