Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be honest, everything, but what I really like and appreciate is the patience and kindness shown by the members. I know I ask some repetitive questions, I know I sometimes get all giddy and point to tools that just aren't up to the job, but nobody gets snappy, and that's nice.

On another carving forum I post on I am not afforded this courtesy or kindness, members wade in without reading all my posts on a topic and some are just plain rude!

I'll still post elsewhere, but I have to say the folks that frequent this forum are the best I have found.

Long may it continue.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I know nothing about woodcarving except I don't do it. My avatar is the exception, not the rule. I would be asking a lot of the same questions you do.

I hang around on several forums for various hobbies. Mostly people on hobby forums are friendly and try to help each other. I'm kind of surprised that you've had any bad experiences. I would expect rude behavior on say a teen gaming forum or from random people on facebook but not on a wood carving forum.

But you are right. The people here are friendly and helpful. It's good we have so many experienced stick makers here who are willing to share their knowledge.

Rodney

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've had similar experiences on other non related sites. A lot of questions I've asked or mistakes I fessed up to were met with sarcasm or just plain rudeness and most of it from more experienced and\or senior members. Not here, the worst thing that happened to me here was when I found that an idea that I thought was revolutionary had already been done. I'm talking to you cas14! Those flattened tourist pennies as medallions? Dang it! I was stoked about that one!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Thank you for the kind words Lol999.

How would newbies( and existing members) to the site and to carving feel about starting a topic on, and purely about how more experienced members, or anyone who cares to share, do things, Myself and other Members have in the past posted series of pictures from start to finish of the steps taken from blank to finished carving, perhaps moving all this type of information including shop made and modified equipment into a single post thus making it easier to find and view.

I see this as not changing anything in how the topics run - still showing finished sticks etc. in the relevant topic as at present, but creating a topic purely on "hoe did you do that" to aid anyone interested in trying different skills. ?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
When I first found this forum I was pleased to find and communicate with such a helpful and nice group of carvers and stick makers of all skill levels.Showing respectful to each other and the focus has been to encourage and share with the each other. I hope it stays this way. I have also enjoyed that it is a international membership on the site. From the UK to Australia. It has been great learning from people from other countries. This has been a fun place to come and enjoy my morning coffee!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the kind words Lol999.

How would newbies( and existing members) to the site and to carving feel about starting a topic on, and purely about how more experienced members, or anyone who cares to share, do things, Myself and other Members have in the past posted series of pictures from start to finish of the steps taken from blank to finished carving, perhaps moving all this type of information including shop made and modified equipment into a single post thus making it easier to find and view.

I see this as not changing anything in how the topics run - still showing finished sticks etc. in the relevant topic as at present, but creating a topic purely on "hoe did you do that" to aid anyone interested in trying different skills. ?
I reckon that's a good idea Gloops, we all have something to share at some point and it's of value even if it just gets us thinking.

·
Registered
907 Posts
When I first found this forum I was pleased to find and communicate with such a helpful and nice group of carvers and stick makers of all skill levels.Showing respectful to each other and the focus has been to encourage and share with the each other. I hope it stays this way. I have also enjoyed that it is a international membership on the site. From the UK to Australia. It has been great learning from people from other countries. This has been a fun place to come and enjoy my morning coffee!!
Totally agree it is the way I like to start my day - inspirational

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.