Walking Stick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is nothing like the smell of fresh cut wood! Which wood Smell do you like the best? I have to tell ya, I'm hard pressed to name my favorite! Aromatic Cedar is probably a given -- but they all have their unique odors -- and some last a long time.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've had quite a bit of pleasure working w. sassafras. If green wood, the bark when cut smells like lemon and root beer. Seasoned wood, the heartwood releases a faint root beer smell when cut.

It is a lightweight wood, and the grain is a little too long and coarse for fine carving, but it is quite rigid.

·
Registered
131 Posts
There's a traditional wood in China, probably related to ceder, that's used in bath tubs. I had a friend who lived in the countryside in Taiwan near a guy who still made these things. I ordered one for my son when he was born. When you fill it up with warm water the wood swells and makes it water tight, and emits a wonderfully aromatic, but subtle smell. The best thing I've smelled from wood except for freshly cut sandalwood.

Otherwise, sugar maple is nice, but Pine, especially those called "southern yellow pine" are quite resinous and smell quite good when first split or sawn.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had quite a bit of pleasure working w. sassafras. If green wood, the bark when cut smells like lemon and root beer. Seasoned wood, the heartwood releases a faint root beer smell when cut.

It is a lightweight wood, and the grain is a little too long and coarse for fine carving, but it is quite rigid.
Yes -- we've got a lot of sassafras on our place (and I mean a lot) the smell is quite singular!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's a traditional wood in China, probably related to ceder, that's used in bath tubs. I had a friend who lived in the countryside in Taiwan near a guy who still made these things. I ordered one for my son when he was born. When you fill it up with warm water the wood swells and makes it water tight, and emits a wonderfully aromatic, but subtle smell. The best thing I've smelled from wood except for freshly cut sandalwood.

Otherwise, sugar maple is nice, but Pine, especially those called "southern yellow pine" are quite resinous and smell quite good when first split or sawn.
I even like to walk inside houses under construction just to smell all the fresh lumber!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have very little experience regarding the smell of cut wood, and it is limited to Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris), European beech (Fagus sylvatica) and several species of oak.

Among those the smell of the pine wood was the most pleasant for me, and that of the oaks the least.

I was told that freshly cut rosewood smells really nice (hence the name), and that apricot and peach woods smell like their respective fruits. Can someone confirm that?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not sure about apricot, but peach does actually smell like peaches! Camphor smells like Vicks vapor rub. Paduak has a candy smell. Amboyna burl smells like Pier One Imports. Greenheart has a fresh clean smell. Other woods stink! Zebrawood smells like a wet zebra, but the sapwood has a very sweet and pleasant smell. Often times, when I'm uncertain what kind of wood I have, the smell will be a very important clue.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
My favorite is Cottonwood, a very unique smell, very pleasant. You don't have to cut it to enjoy, just wait for the first rain.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Apricot smells like apricot. I took out a small orchard one time, and remember how it smelled like apricots. Pretty wood too, I think.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can see that there are only a few of us wood sniffers! I suppose it's a bad habit anyway! :)

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I definitely do not like the so-called "diamond" willow odor. I think I'm smelling the fungus that stunted the branches, discolored the wood, and created the beauty. Finishing does a pretty good job of sealing that in.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I definitely do not like the so-called "diamond" willow odor. I think I'm smelling the fungus that stunted the branches, discolored the wood, and created the beauty. Finishing does a pretty good job of sealing that in.
How ya doing CAS? Havn't heard from you for awhile.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
How ya doing CAS? Havn't heard from you for awhile.
Rad, all is AOK. My company shut down exploration and will probably sell everything within a year, and so their geologist (me) was "retired" as of March 1, although I've moved my computer to my home office, and I'm already doing some consulting. I was planning on doing this three years from now, but this works just fine for me. I'll have more time to maintain a Marine Corps unit's website, more time for family, more time for the volunteer activities that I'm already involved with, and I should have no difficulty in consulting a couple of days each week, and selling an exploration concept now and then.

Life is good!

Also, more time for sticks, once the weather improves. Now waiting on some gold-colored initials (my Doc's) to embed in his diamond willow stick, before minor, final sanding and several tung oil applications.

Next up, a eastern red cedar stick collected a year ago at my brother's east Texas place, and this will be his. He is visiting in late March, and we can make the length perfect. He is a retired cop who is also a summer park ranger at Rocky Mountain National Park. He likes the idea of a compass on top, like the diver's compass that I have on one of my own sticks. I lost the second compass, but recently located it, good because they are no longer available in this area.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad to hear it! Good luck on your second life! Looking forward to seeing the finished product on your Dr.'s stick!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
good luck rad enjoy your new lifestyle ,hope to hear more from you

You seem to be busy allready .Send some pics of the sticks your planning always keen to view thwm or any pics come to that.But most of all enjoy yourself

If your anything like me i seem to be busyer than ever since i retired .so mayby not quite so much carving for me next week or so.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
good luck rad enjoy your new lifestyle ,hope to hear more from you
You seem to be busy allready .Send some pics of the sticks your planning always keen to view thwm or any pics come to that.But most of all enjoy yourself
If your anything like me i seem to be busyer than ever since i retired .so mayby not quite so much carving for me next week or so.
I think you mean CAS. :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts